Hi Craig Weinberg

Exactly.

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
1/8/2013
From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-08, 09:23:56
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Subjective states can be somehow
extractedfrombrainsviaacomputer

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 5:23:55 AM UTC-5, rclough wrote:
Hi Telmo Menezes

Presumably the brain works with analog, not digital, signals.

You are both missing the more important issue - signals cannot be decoded in
the brain. It's tempting to think that is possible because we are living in a
world of images on screens and in print, but these collections of pixels only
cohere as images through our visual awareness, not through optical properties.
Try thinking of any of the other senses instead - if instead of images,  we
want to peer into the decoding of digitized or analog signals associated with
the smell of bacon cooking, would we set up a universal kitchen which would mix
the aromatic compounds to match the tiny kitchen in the olfactory cortex? Can
you not see that you still need a feeling, sensing person to smell the bacon or
see the images? Otherwise there is no 'decoding'.

The fundamental problem is *always* going to be the Explanatory Gap. When we
talk about signals, we are already talking about awareness. The idea of a brain
that can only recognize some small number of objects and tell if they are
moving or not is the level of recognition which already exists on the level of
an atom. T-cells recognize other cells and molecules. These kinds of
sensitivities do not require a brain, they are everywhere, on every level.

Craig