On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>
> On 25 Jan 2013, at 13:07, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>
> It's a fascinating idea.
> Groups selection seems to be a controversial issue with biologists, but it
> makes sense to me that evolution could work at the colony level, the same
> way it does for social insects. Even more easily, because bacteria
> reproduce asexually.
>
>
> Well, many bacteria reproduces sexually,
>

Fair enough, but I believe that even for those that can, the primary mode
of reproduction is still assexual. But ultimately I'm talking about a
simplified "toy model" of what a bacteria really is, granted.


> and I am not sure why group selection would be favored by non sexual
> reproduction. May be you can explain.
>

Because sexual reproduction promotes genetic diversity. So ultimately I'm
proposing that kin selection is synergistic with group selection. Kin
selection promotes altruism. The lower the diversity, the stronger the
incentive, so the collective behaviours that group selection operates on
are more likely to appear.


> Also, *we* are bacteria colony, or bacteria/amoeba colony, so it seems to
> me that evolution can work at many levels simultaneously.
>

Agreed.


> Even if we give a key role to the gene units, evolution has favored group
> of genes, and group of group of genes, etc.
>

Yes. I think the "selfish gene" hypothesis is a gross simplification of
what's going on.


>
> Bruno
>
>
>
>
>
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>
>> Oops sorry, it was an old post! But I really love those bacteria.
>>
>> Bruno
>>
>>
>>
>> http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~**marchal/ <http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "Everything List" group.
>> To post to this group, send email to 
>> everything-list@googlegroups.**com<everything-list@googlegroups.com>
>> .
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> everything-list+unsubscribe@**googlegroups.com<everything-list%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com>
>> .
>> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/**
>> group/everything-list?hl=en<http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en>
>> .
>>
>>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Everything List" group.
> To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>
>
>
>
> http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/
>
>
>
>  --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Everything List" group.
> To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>
>
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to