On 3/7/2013 5:54 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:21:48 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:

    On 3/7/2013 12:04 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
    > If you have ever worked with Terminal Servers, RDP, Citrix
    Metaframe,
    > or the like (and that's what I have been doing professionally every
    > day for the last 14 years), you will understand the idea of a Thin
    > Client architecture. Thin clients are as old as computing, and
    some of
    > you remember as I do, devices like acoustic couplers where you can
    > attach a telephone handset to a telephone cradle, so that the mouth
    > ends of the handset and the earpiece ends could squeal to each
    other.
    > In this way, you could, with nothing but a keyboard and a
    printer, use
    > your telephone to allow you access to a mainframe computer at some
    > university.
    >
    > The relevance here is that the client end is thin
    computationally. It
    > passes nothing but keystrokes and printer instructions back and
    forth
    > as acoustic codes.
    >
    > This is what an mp3 file does as well. It passes nothing but binary
    > instructions that can be used by an audio device to vibrate.
    Without a
    > person's ear there to be vibrated, this entire event is
    described by
    > linear processes where one physical record is converted into
    another
    > physical record. Nothing is encoded or decoded, experienced or
    > appreciated. There is no sound.
    >
    > Think about those old plastic headphones in elementary school that
    > just had hollow plastic tubes as connectors - a system like that
    > generates sound from the start, and the headphones are simply
    funnels
    > for our ears. That's a different thing from an electronic device
    which
    > produces sound only in the earbuds.
    >
    > All of these discussions about semiotics, free will, consciousness,
    > AI...all come down to understanding the Thin Client. The Thin
    Client
    > is Searle's Chinese Room in actual fact. You can log into a massive
    > server from some mobile device and use it like a glove, but that
    > doesn't mean that the glove is intelligent. We know that we can
    > transmit only mouseclicks and keystrokes across the pipe and
    that it
    > works without having to have some sophisticated computing
    environment
    > (i.e. qualia) get communicated. The Thin Client exposes Comp as
    > misguided because it shows that instructions can indeed exist as
    > purely instrumental forms and require none of the semantic
    experiences
    > which we enjoy. No matter how much you use the thin client, it
    never
    > needs to get any thicker. It's just a glove and a window.
    >
    > --
    Hi Craig,

         Excellent post! You have nailed computational immaterialism
    where
    it really hurts. Computations cannot see, per the Turing
    neo-Platonists,
    any hardward at all. This is their view of computational
    universality.
    But here in the thing, it is the reason why they have a 'body
    problem'.
    For a Platonistic Machine, there is no hardware or physical world at
    all. So, why do I have the persistent illusion that I am in a body
    and
    interacting with another computation via its body?

         The physical delusion is the thin client, to use your words and
    discussion.

Thanks Stephen!

Right, if we were just logging into accounts in Platonia, where does a body illusion come in handy?

    It is handy for one mind to talk to another...

--
Onward!

Stephen