What does it mean to 'lose control' of something?

Your car, your bladder, your gambling, your pet Rottweiler...

What are the broad physical principles involved? What are we talking about
when we refer to this, and why is it something that can have consequences
considered to be 'serious'?

It would seem that the legacy view is to simply deny that this phrase
refers to anything in particular. All processes are simply probabilistic
exchanges and clockwork mechanisms which are not 'controlled' by anything
in particular to begin with.

Craig