The secret of perception. Particular minds and how they relate to the overall
or Cosmic Mind

The problem of perception in materialistic thinking is that it forces us to
think that there is a homunculo us

Leibniz has a more complicated understanding of particular minds and how they
relate to Cosmic Mind.

In Leibniz's metaphysics, there is only one mind (the Perceiver or Cosmic Mind
or God) that
perceives and acts, doing this through the Surpreme (most dominant) monad.
It perceives the whole universe with perfect clarity.

Only it can perceive and act, because its monads (which includes our minds)
have no windows.
The monads (our minds)  perceive only indirectly, as the Supreme Monad is the
--what we would call-- "conscious" mind.   We only think and perceive
as the Supreme Monad continually and instantly updates its universe of
monads. Thus there is no problem communing with God (the Cosmic Mind)
as we do so continually and necessarily, although only aqccording to our own
and perspective. s

That we ourselves, not God, appear to be the perceiver is thus only apparent.

Also, because Cosmic Mind sees the entire universe as viewed by a kaleidoscope
individual monads, the perceptions it returns to us contains not only what
we see (the universe from our  own individual perspectives) but what the
perceptions of all of the other monads.  Thus each monad knows everything
in the universe, but only from its own perspective, and monads being monads,
not perfectly clear but distorted.

Dr. Roger Clough NIST (ret.) 6/1/2013
See my Leibniz site at

To post to this group, send email to