Hi Chris

I think alarm calls are explained adequately by the benefits afforded to
individuals in a group that share some genetic material. If you are a monkey
with a few  brothers and sisters in a troupe and plenty of cousins then a lot
of 'your' genes get protected by putting yourself at risk by alarm calls.
Whatever genes underpin alarm calling then have a good chance of passing on.
If members of another species then derive some benefit from that then that in
fact is a form of cheating. There might be mutual cheating insofar as both
species might have evolved alarm calling and both noticed the alarm calls of
the other species. I dont see the need to invoke group selection here.

As for dogs saving babies its not difficult to see the benefits. That dog is
made for life by that one risk. Its now king dog. The cats in the neighbourhood
must be kicking themselves. They do all the serious symbiotic work keeping the
vermin population down and some stupid dog puts on a big display and steals all
the limelight.

Acts of kindness to complete strangers is harder to explain. I think humans
evolved in small groups where genetic relatedness was high. Even though we live
in groups of thousands and even millions in cities our behaviour reflects what
would be adaptive in much mich smaller groups.

All the best