You don't have to be a Platonist to accept that space is not substantial.
To me, space is attenuation of sensitivity. What looks like space to us is
the result of our body's relation to other bodies of similar scale.

Even if adding mass made something 'physical', there is nothing
non-physical about the Higgs (as it is defined) that would account for
awareness or connection to awareness.