Niels Bohr is famously quoted as saying: 'Everything we call real is made of
things that
cannot be regarded as real. If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked
you, you
haven't understood it yet.”

Aage Bohr tried to explain something about te quantum domain and (perhaps)
Bohr's interpretation of the quantum "world".

That was during a debate about another famous quotation of Niels Bohr.

Among the comments there was also this one:
"What I remember most, however, is not Weisskopf's comment, but a story
told by Stephan Berko, my freshman physics professor in 1966-67, who
was also in the audience at that talk.  After listening to the rather
inconclusive discussion among Mermin, Weisskopf, and others, Berko
recalled something that Bohr said to him - in fact, the only thing Bohr
ever said to him directly.  Berko had been visiting the Institute for
Theoretical Physics in Copenhagen in 1958 and attended a holiday party,
which featured a magic show.  After watching some particularly baffling
magic tricks, Bohr turned to him and said, "It's all done with smoke
and mirrors!" -Michael Gerver "

To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at
For more options, visit