On 07 Dec 2013, at 23:58, John Mikes wrote:

Telmo asked:

Honest question: isn't "dark matter" a fancy name for failed predictions?

I would not be so rude - just call it an ingenious way to save our scientific face in so far developed conventional science. Then it required 'dark energy' in the dark minds.And ALL had been justified by the theories to be justified.

I don't think we can, "justify" our theories. We can feel happy to get them, happy to see them working for a while, and we can be doubly happy when they are shown wrong, as this means that we will learn something.

Dark matter is rather sadly amazing in that respect.

God:   - what are the news?
God's engineer: - I am afraid humans have found that galaxies structures is inconsistent with the matter they can see!
God:    - Gosh! What can we do?
God's engineer:    - we can add invisible matter, perhaps.
God:    - do that! excellent idea, they will see nothing
God's engineer: - Hmm, they will see it indirectly, through lenticular structure, and galaxies nice behaviors,
God:    - do we need a lot of them?
God's engineer: - well, 90% of matter needs to be made of that invisible stuff ...
God:    - damned!    shhhhhhh ..... (depression).

;)

Bruno

John M

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 6:05 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote: On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM, Jesse Mazer <laserma...@gmail.com> wrote: > Dark matter behaves pretty convincingly like large clumps of matter that, > aside from not interacting with normal matter via non- gravitational forces, > obeys the same sort of dynamical laws as any other form of matter, see the > following for a good quick summary (note particularly the stuff about the > colliding galaxy clusters whose dark matter halos seemed to "outshoot" the > position of the visible clusters themselves, since the visible matter like > stars is slowed down via friction with gas and dust during the collision, > but friction is an electromagnetic interaction so dark matter should be
> impervious to it):

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2010/06/24/convincing-a-young-scientist-t/

Thanks Jesse, very nice article.