On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 04:15:13PM -0800, Edgar L. Owen wrote:
> All,
>
> Someone asked somewhere if I cover quantum theory in my book. Yes, I do.
> The entire 'Part III: Elementals' of the book covers reality at its finest
> scale, the quantum world. I'll summarize here but can only gloss over some
> of the main points.....
>
> As stated before reality, at its most fundamental level, consists of pure
> computationally evolving information only. It is not physical. Thus there
> is no dimensional spacetime. Dimensional spacetime is in fact something
> that arises from quantum events, e.g. the conservation of particle
> properties as they are computed in particle interactions that specify the
> dimensional relationships between particles emerging from particle
> interactions, such as relative energies and momenta.
>
> It is these purely numeric NON-physical computed dimensional relationships
> that are part of the fundamental computational reality. Thus instead of a
> single pre-existing all pervading spacetime that exists as a background to
> all events, what really happens is that many independent mini-spacetimes
> arise from networks of particle interactions.
>
> It is only when these networks connect via common events that their
> spacetimes merge into larger mini-spacetimes, and the spacetime that we
> think we inhabit is actually the end result of the merging of innumerable
> mini-spacetimes as the result of all the billions of particle level events
> we continually interact with, e.g. all the photons impinging on our retinas.
>
> These continual particle level interactions build up the simulacrum of a
> classical spacetime and our minds then interpolate that and mentally
> construct a fixed, pre-existing common spacetime that does not actually
> exist in external reality itself even though our minds convince us that it
> does.
>
> Now there is plenty of evidence this view is correct, part of which is that
> it solves two of the most profound problems of physics.....
>

> The beauty of this insight is that it enables two very important advances.
>
> 1. First it enables the conceptual unification of general relativity and
> quantum theory because the reason they seem incompatible is precisely the
> pre-existing all pervading spacetime that quantum theory mistakenly
> assumes. When it is understood that spacetime emerges from quantum events
> rather than being a pre-existing background to them this incompatibility
> vanishes and in fact it is easy to get the curved spacetime of general
> relativity directly from this emergence by simply taking the mass-energy
> particle property as the scale of the spacetime that emerges.
>
> 2. In one fell swoop it eliminates ALL quantum paradox. Why? Because
> quantum processes only seem paradoxical again with respect to the
> pre-existing fixed common spacetime mistakenly assumed. When the way
> spacetime emerges FROM quantum processes is understood all the paradoxical
> nature of quantum theory vanishes.

> [...]

Hi Edgar,

In principle, this strikes me as being right. Spacetime must be
emergent from quantum interactions via the process of observation, but
getting the mathematical details right is tricky. I know of the PaW
model, for example, which attempts to do this (eg see arXiv:1310.4691),
but haven't really grokked the details. Is you model related, and do
you have a shorter paper where you give the mathematical details?

Cheers