On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> > as a former ed-in-chief of a science magazine (Ion Exchange and
> Membranes) I
> > know the difficulties one can run into if trying to get peer-review
> approval
> > on "NEW" ideas that do not fit into the conventional scientific fabric of
> > college courses. I was a risk-taker and provided space for several new
> ideas
> > that made sens - to me. ('Let the readership decide and debate').
>
> It's interesting to read this. I agree that the current model of
> peer-review leads to too much conservatism, and "me-too" papers are
> much more likely to get approved than the ones with novel ideas. On
> the other hand, there's only so much time to keep up with the
> literature, so some amount of filtering is required.

I see 2 problems: everybody wants to publish + the peer groups that control
certain domains and their journals are too often specialized cowards, that
have to make bread, and fear "losing face" for publishing something
crackpot style, like those nonsense articles that get through the peer
process into publication from time to time. But the only way for journals
to become more robust and earn scientific merit beyond popularity contests
is to allow the wrong to be read, expose to criticism, and to right the
wrongs or point towards the open problems that were formulated.

Everybody is expected to learn... But not scientific journals. And
everybody smells the irony. This strangles debate and promotes much more
dependency "journal x said blah, so that must be right". The focus shifts
from the questions, the work on them, towards results. Reactions to novelty
become "crackpot" by default, instead of sharpening scientific attitude of
wrestling what somebody new might have to say.

> Maybe the internet will eventually allow for better models, but then I
> fear that it will turn into another form of a popularity contest.
> Collective moderation tends to reward sensationalism and form over
> substance....

Yeah, but I don't see a route out of this ossifying aspect of the journal
landscape, as brilliant as many of the articles are that I see every month,
with all these historic weights in its current form. I'll just work
blogwise for now, and bet that time will filter the popularity contest and
sensationalism. PGC