The reason I asked the original question in this thread is to get some idea
of the background to Edgar's work, in particular, I was interest to know if
there is any logical or mathematical underpinning to it, if it is a
development of ideas that have been previously published, and so on.

Getting an instant defensive reaction - and not even from Edgar! - seems
just a wee bit over the top.

So Edgar, can you fill in the background to you work - the relevant logic /
maths, any other people's works you are building on, theories you are
extending, references, etc?