On 13 January 2014 02:35, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How large does a digital circle have to be before the circumference seems
> like a straight line?

That depends on who is viewing it and where from, surely?

> Digital information has no scale or sense of relation. Code is code. Any
> rendering of that code into a visual experience of lines and curves is a
> question of graphic formatting and human optical interaction. With a
> universe that assumes information as fundamental, the proximity-dependent
> flatness or roundness of the Earth would have to be defined
> programmatically. Otherwise, it is simply “the case” that a person is
> standing on the round surface of the round Earth. Proximity is simply a
> value with no inherent geometric relevance.
>
> When we resize a circle in Photoshop, for instance, the program is not
> transforming a real shape, it is erasing the old digital circle and
> creating a new, unrelated digital circle. Like a cartoon, the relation
> between the before and after, between one frame and the “next” is within
> our own interpretation, not within the information.

I think what's it's doing is re-rendering the circle on a different scale.
The pixels that are set as a result are different, but the underlying
circle data is either unchanged, and a transformation matrix is changed, or
the circle data itself is transformed (the radius is changed, but the
centre remains unchanged).

The real (underlying) circle is an abstraction stored as - I would guess -
a centre and radius, plus no doubt colour, style and so on.

Didn't Plato say something about the world being an imperfect rendering? :-)