Brent,

The way it works is that objects do NOT appear to pile up at the event
horizon. What happens is that they (as you correctly mentioned) appear to
slow their approach to the event horizon to an external observer because
the photons they emit take longer and longer to climb out of the increasing
gravity well to reach the external observer.

But that same effect simultaneously means that that fewer and fewer photons
per unit time reach that external observer so that the object approaching
the black hole fades away proportionally to the degree it slows. So by the
time it reaches the event horizon and appears to slow to zero it
simultaneously vanishes from view.

Thus there is NO "pile up at the event horizon" period...

Once again my initial response to Jesse was because he claimed there was a
pile up and their isn't, and second that he claimed (or at least that's the
way I read his post) that the slowing of velocity was due to the slowing of
the clock of the object approaching the black hole which it isn't. I'm not
sure whether he actually meant that or not or I misunderstood what he said
but so long as the true picture I give above is understood it doesn't
matter.

So there is NO pile up at the event horizon because the approaching objects
fade away as they get there in the view of an external object. By the time
they are actually beyond the event horizon they are long gone from view. NO
PILEUP!

Edgar

Edgar