On 28 January 2014 09:21, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But Jason I want to ask you a direct question, and this isn't rhetorical
>> I'd really like an answer:  If there is no all encompassing purpose or a
>> goal to existence and if the unknown principle responsible for the
>> existence of the universe is not intelligent and is not conscious and is
>> not a being then do you think it adds to clarity to call that principle
>> "God"?
>>

> I consider this question equivalent to asking "If there is no elan vital
> found within organisms, does it still make sense to call those organisms
> life?" Asking this question illustrates the attitude of holding the word in
> higher esteem than the idea, which to me seems little different from a kind
> of "ancestor worship" (which you are also opposed to). I think there is a
> common kernel of idea behind the word God, which is common across many
> religions, though each religion also adds various additional things on top
> of and beyond what is contained in that kernel. If our theories lead us to
> conclude God has or doesn't have these attributes, that is progress, and
> our definitions ought to update accordingly, just as we did not throw out
> the word "life" when we discovered it is just matter arranged in certain
> ways. Similarly, even if we were to determine God is not "omnipotent", or
> not "conscious", should we abandon that word and come up with something
> else? Should we do this every time we learn some knew fact about some
> thing? If we did, it seems to me that any old text would have an
> incomprehensible vocabulary, as scientific progress forced us to adopt knew
> words each time we learned something new.
>
> Nevertheless, might there not be a threshold beyond which it seems
ridiculous to drag a word and its associated baggage? Hence we *could *say
the planets move in epicycles, but we prefer to call them orbits, since
that word doesn't carry the baggage of a discredited theory. Similarly, we
don't talk about the aether, but space-time; we don't talk about elan
vital, but DNA....I'm sure you can think of a few similar examples.

I think "God" has enough baggage that the answer to John's question should
be "no". Although given the unconscious reification of various things
(matter, maths, minds...) we might still want a relatively neutral term for
"the (possibly unknowable) principle behind the universe". (Assuming most
people on this list are Westerners, I suppose we could try "Tao" ... or
maybe "Ylem" ?)