On 27 Jan 2014, at 17:51, John Clark wrote:

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 2:43 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I use the exact same definition of life that MILLIONS of people on this planet once used: the word "Life" refers to some organic matter filled with elan vital.

Fine. Organic matter is matter that operates according to the laws of carbon chemistry, and future computers will almost certainly contain carbon nanotubes and 2D carbon Graphene sheets. And I have no idea what "elan vital" is and those who like the term have even less idea than I do, but whatever it is if meat can have it I see no reason why a computer can't have it too. So even by your definition a computer could be alive.

But Jason I want to ask you a direct question, and this isn't rhetorical I'd really like an answer:

I am so happy for your sanity to see that you are aware of being rethorical some time ...

If there is no all encompassing purpose or a goal to existence and if the unknown principle responsible for the existence of the universe is not intelligent and is not conscious and is not a being then do you think it adds to clarity to call that principle "God"?

Yes, because it can still be something transcendent and responsible for your existence, and having no name, etc. And we can also remain open that it *might* be a person, as we are still ignorant about it. This is clearer with the definition of knowledge in arithmetic, where the outer God (which is plausibly not a person) become one in the form of the inner God (the third hypostase). The inner God is the God that you can awake in yourself through the use of some entheogen method. It is not the Christian god, in the sense that you were considered as a witch when you apply such technic, for a long time in this era, in occident. Institutionalized religions are usually opposed to mysticism, which is individualist and skeptical with respect to authorities and institutions.