On 30 January 2014 14:17, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 1/29/2014 5:19 AM, Edgar L. Owen wrote:
>
>> Brent,
>>
>> Here's another relativity question I'd like to get your explanation for
>> if I may...
>>
>> In Thorne's 'Black Holes and Time Warps' he gives the following example.
>>
>> Two observers A and B.
>>
>> A leaves earth orbit to travel to the center of the galaxy, 30,100 light
>> year away, using a constant 1g acceleration to the midpoint and a constant
>> 1g decelleration on the second half of the journey to arrive stationary at
>> the galactic center,
>>
>> Thorne tells us that the 30,100 light year trip takes 30,102 years on B's
>> clock back on earth but only 20 years on A's clock aboard the spaceship.
>>
>> Now my question is what causes the extreme slowing of A's clock?
>>
>> It can't be the acceleration as both A and B experience the exact same 1g
>> acceleration for the duration of the trip.
>>
>> I can understand that during the trip B will observe A's clock to be
>> greatly slowed due to the extreme relative motion, but since the motion IS
>> relative wouldn't A also observe B's clock to be slowed by the same amount
>> during the trip?
>>
>> And since the time dilation of relative motion is relative then how does
>> it actually produce a real objective slowing of A's clock that both
>> observers can agree upon?
>>
>> You had said yesterday that "geometry doesn't cause clocks to slow" but
>> other than the trivial 1g acceleration isn't all the rest just geometry in
>> this case?
>>
>> What's the proper way to analyze this to get Thorne's result?
>>

> A rough way to see it is right is to note that c/g = 3e7sec ~ 1year <<
> 30,000yr.  So the spaceship spends essentially the whole flight at very
> near c.  So the trip takes 30,100+ years in the frame of the galaxy. But
> the proper time for the spaceship is very small; if it were actually at
> speed c, like a photon, its proper time lapse would be zero. Only, because
> it can't quite reach c, the time turns out to be 20 years. To get the exact
> values you have to integrate the differential equations:
>
>     dt/dtau = 1/gamma
>     dv/dtau = accel/gamma^2
>     dx/dtau = v/gamma
>
> where gamma=sqrt(1-v^2)

The equivalence principle indicates that both A and B are in a 1g
gravitational field throughout the exercise, hence the time dilation
experienced by A can't be gravitational. All that leaves is the different
distances they travel through space-time to reach their final meeting,
which is indeed down to "geometry" (in this case involving curves rather
the straight lines - but that is minor detail, and can be solved by
integrating the relevant equations, as indicated).

So I assume the overall geometry of their paths through space-time
*is*responsible for the final mismatch between their clocks. I'm not
sure
whether that contradicts "geometry doesn't cause clocks to slow" - probably
not.

PS I would instruct A to fly above the plane of the galaxy. There is a lot
of stuff between the Earth and the galactic centre and I suspect that even
a dust grain would hit a relativistic spacecraft like a nuclear bomb once
it was near peak velocity, which according to my calculations is 0.9999995c
(or in any case p.d.q.)