On Friday, January 31, 2014 5:32:49 PM UTC-5, Liz R wrote:

> On 1 February 2014 01:40, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com <javascript:>
> > wrote:

>>> the context in which it makes sense. If you mean ontological emergence, the
>>> origin of physics, that can't be answered within the framework of
>>> explaining how a block universe works. It's a separate question. If you
>>> mean emergence within a block universe, clearly that can occur, as it
>>> happened in the past, and the past is a block universe according to the
>>> normal definition.
>>>

>> I thought that the whole point of a block universe is that nothing can or
>> needs to "emerge". It is all there in the block.
>>

> It emerges along the time axis. Evolution, for example, can operate in a
> block universe. All the phenomena we experience can occur in a block
> universe, otherwise no one would entertain the possibility that we live in
> one.

I don't think that very many people do seriously entertain the possibility
that we live in a block universe. It's not that the effect of evolution
couldn't exist in a block universe, its that it wouldn't make sense to say
that it 'operates', since the beginning and ending of the operation would
be, from an absolute perspective, simultaneous. What is not explained is
why, if there was a block universe, would being inside of it be filled with
both simultaneous and chronological sensations. What would restrict some
part of the block to the point of blindness to most of the time axis, and
then insert some kind of illusion of timing associated with that axis?

> The fact that it is "all there" from the god's (physicist's) perspective
> doesn't stop things changing and emerging within the block.

It doesn't stop it, but it makes it implausible. What does a block want
with "_ing" anything?

> Things changed and emerged in the past. They're there, embedded in the
> past - no one expects them to change (modulo quantum theory and block
> multiverses, of course). We don't expect to wake up and discover that the
> Norman conquest didn't happen after all, even though at the time that
> caused radical change, and was partly responsible for the emergence of the
> modern English (i.e. Anglo-Saxon/Danish/French/Latin/etc/etc!) language.
>

>>> Or maybe you're just talking nonsense. F=ma refers to a mass
>>> accelerating under a force. It is a static equation describing a dynamic
>>> process, something that could be useful in visualising how a block universe
>>> works, which is why I mentioned it. It's quite straightforward. It isn't
>>> rocket science.
>>>

>> But F=ma can only be epiphenomenal in a block universe. There can't be an
>> true acceleration because acceleration requires time, and a block universe
>> would have only coordinates within a static temporal axis, wouldn't it?
>> Acceleration would be a statistical derivative only, it seems to me.
>>

> But there *is* time in a block universe. It's a 4D manifold, and time is
> a particular axis within it. You seem to want an extra time above and
> beyond the existing one.

Just the opposite. I am fully embracing time a just one of the four D axes.
What the block universe does not explain is why that axis is presented as a
verb while the other three are not, and why that axis is irreversible
seeming while the others are not.