Hi Liz:

I am not sure I understand your comment.
As to "rate" I posit a positive feedback loop in the life system that
forces "natural" ecocide that also makes the rate at which life approaches
it accelerate.
There is always a chance that an essentially "outside" originating
influence could terminate the "natural" extinction process with an
"unnatural" one [cometary impact, etc.].
By "natural" here I mean inherent in life itself.  "Unnatural" would be
external to life. [I suppose that these distinctions may have permeable
boundaries.]
 In any event my point is that my argument supports a "natural" and thus
unavoidable extinction event built into life and it is fully effective
absent an "unnatural" earlier one.

Hal Ruhl