On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 4:22 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 February 2014 00:38, Richard Ruquist <yann...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, imho it was most likely the interglacial that allowed agriculture
>>> to flourish, and with it civilisation.
>>>
>>> As far as returning to fluctuating temperatures goes, increasing
>>> atmospheric CO2 by a staggering 50% since 1800 won't have helped in that
>>> department...
>>>

>> That we are currently in an interglacial period
>> suggests that another glacial period is coming(;<)
>>

> It certainly would normally. I don't know if it does now we've bumped up
> atmospheric CO2 50% in 2 centuries (and we *have *had the hottest years
> on record with monotonous regularity over the last couple of decades, so,
> so far the effect is a warming trend - though that could have unexpected /
> counter-intuitive consequences of course - I mean above those it's already
> having!)
>

>> In previous plunges into glacial periods, the CO2 atm content
>> continued to increase for up to 1000 years after the temperature peaked.
>> So IMO an increasing CO2 may actually be responsible for the plunge.
>>

>> The mechanism is that the increased atm energy abs produced by increased
>> CO2
>> results in fluctuations in the jet stream down to most of the landmass
>> in North America, and northern Europe and Asia, significantly increasing
>> reflection from snow (rather than absorption) of solar radiation over land
>> thereby cooling the earth significantly.
>>

> Hmm, that seems possible I suppose. Most of the thermal energy is stored
> in the oceans, however, so we would expect them to expand (and possibly
> release dissolved CO2, methane, etc) so this is rather hypothetical (and in
> conflict with the opinions of 99.7% of climate scientists, if I remember
> correctly).
>

>> Oceanic absorption would be relatively constant
>> so climate change would be a Northern Hemisphere effect.
>>

> I don't see that. Warming oceans have less capacity to absorb gas from the
> atmosphere, and would eventually start to release it back again, at which
> point we'll really be into runaway feedback (or our grandchildren will).
> It's possible that's what happened in the relatively fast warming around
> the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum. See for example
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palaeocene-Eocene_Thermal_Maximum#Methane_release

The climate in the so-called
Palaeocene-Eocene_Thermal_Maximum<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palaeocene-Eocene_Thermal_Maximum#Methane_release>
lasted
for 20 million years.
Compared to the recent ice ages for only 1/2 million years, it was a very
stable climate.
That may be where we are headed. But I fear that we will return to more
glaciation.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.meltonengineering.com/Zachos%25202001%2520PETM%252072%2520dpi.jpg&imgrefurl=http://blog.concord.org/what-caused-the-paleocene-eocene-thermal-maximum&h=285&w=177&sz=1&tbnid=6QMv8FTf8uJhzM:&tbnh=186&tbnw=115&zoom=1&usg=__wTlZHQ6Tyy42yi8HlCVB2eoB-ck=&docid=LavOcNHQ3o3thM&itg=1&sa=X&ei=mJf6Ur6sKMuQ0QH_q4HgBw&ved=0CKUBEPwdMAo