If you say yes to the doctor, you are saying that originality is an
illusion and simulation is absolute. Arithmetic can do so many things, but
it can't do something that can only be done once. Think of consciousness as
not only that which can't be done more than once, it is that which cannot
even be fully completed one time. It doesn't begin or end, and it is
neither finite nor infinite, progressing or static, but instead it is the
fundamental ability for beginnings and endings to seem to exist and to
relate to each other sensibly. Consciousness is orthogonal to all process
and form, but it reflects itself in different sensible ways through every
appreciation of form.

The not-even-done-onceness of consciousness and the done-over-and-overness
of its self reflection can be made to seem equivalent from any local
perspective, since the very act of looking through a local perspective
requires a comparison with prior perspectives, and therefore attention to
the done-over-and-overness - the rigorously measured and recorded. In this
way, the diagonalization of originality is preserved, but always behind our
back. Paradoxically, it is only when we suspend our rigid attention and
unexamine the forms presented within consciousness and the world that we
can become the understanding that we expect.