On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 7:24 AM, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:

> Jesse,
>
> Let me make sure I understand what you are saying.
>
> You say we can drop an arbitrary coordinate system onto spacetime, and
> then we can place an originally synchronized clock at every grid
> intersection. Is that correct?

It depends whether we are talking about inertial frames or arbitrary
non-inertial coordinate systems. In non-inertial coordinate systems, the
only requirement is that the coordinate be "smooth"--no sudden
discontinuities in the coordinates assigned to infinitesimally-close points
in spacetime. Beyond that, not only are you free to drop an
arbitrarily-shaped rubbery coordinate "grid" with clocks at each
intersection, but you're also free to define "synchronization" any way you
want, you don't need to follow any standard procedure for deciding what
point on each clock's worldline is the one where it be set to read zero,
you can do this any way you like (again provided that the resulting
simultaneity surfaces are smooth, with no discontinuous "jumps"). And
there's also no requirement that the coordinate clock times actually
correspond to the proper times along their worldline--you could have a
coordinate clock that was designed to alternately run faster or slower than
a normal clock moving right alongside them, for example.

But the example I gave with Alice/Bob/Arlene/Bart involved an inertial
coordinate system, not any non-inertial ones. In this case the rules for
constructing a coordinate system are more strict--you have to use a
Cartesian grid of straight rulers that are all inertial and at rest
relative to one another, and then you have to use the "Einstein
synchronization convention" to define what it means for clocks at different
grid intersections to be synchronized with one another--the most common
definition of this convention is that if you send a light signal from clock
A when it reads tA1, it reflects off clock B when it reads tB, and the
reflected light returns back to clock A when it reads tA2, then tB should
be exactly halfway between tA1 and tA2 (i.e. tB = (tA2 - tA1)/2 ). Another
equivalent definition is that if you set off a flash of light from a ruler
marking that's exactly halfway between the markings that A and B are
attached to, then both clocks should show the same reading when the light
from the flash reaches them. The Einstein synchronization convention
ensures that each inertial frame will measure the speed of light to be the
same in all directions.

> And that those clocks read what is called the coordinate times of those
> grid intersections, and this gives us in some sense a measure of the actual
> time coordinate of that spatial coordinate?

Yes, or more specifically they give a time coordinate for any EVENT that
happens at a given spatial coordinate. For example, if a firework goes off
at position x,y,z, then the time coordinate of the firework exploding would
be defined by the reading t on the coordinate clock at x,y,z as the
firework was exploding right next to it (so a photo of this location at
that moment would show both the exploding firework and the clock there
reading t).

> One clarification before I agree. The clocks on this grid that are in
> gravitational fields will be running slower than the clocks that are not?
> And we can compare the clocks across the grid to determine which are
> running slower and which faster? Is that correctly part of the model?

In the case of inertial frames, these spacetimes are defined only in the
flat spacetime of special relativity, where there is no gravity (since
gravity involves spacetime curvature). In the real world there may be no
perfectly flat regions of spacetime, but many regions in space that are
limited in spatial and temporal extent may be extremely good approximations
to flat spacetime.

In general relativity where spacetime is curved, there isn't really any
objective coordinate-independent way to compare the rates of clocks at
different points in space, all you can do is compare how fast each clock is
ticking relative to coordinate time in some coordinate system (and as I
said above, the rate of coordinate clocks in arbitrary non-inertial
coordinate systems can in principle be anything, although of course you're
free to construct a coordinate system where coordinate time at each grid
intersection does actually correspond to proper time of a clock at that
intersection). I discussed the problem of defining the relative rate of
different clocks in GR in the second half of my post at
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/everything-list/jFX-wTm_E_Q/SX19ccLeij0J(starting
with the paragraph that begins "Not
a well-defined assumption.")

> If so I agree. It's my understanding of relativity theory, and my theory
> starts by accepting every part of relativity theory and adding to it rather
> than trying to change any part of it. If my theory is inconsistent with
> relativity in any respect I would consider my theory falsified.
>
> So is my understanding correct, and do we both agree to the same thing
> here?

So do you specifically agree that if we define time coordinates in the way
above (especially in the case of inertial coordinate systems in regions
where gravity is absent or negligible, since that's really the only one
that's relevant to my Alice/Bob/Arlene/Bart example), then if two events
have the same space and time coordinates in a single inertial frame, they
must also satisfy the operational definition of "same point in spacetime" I
gave earlier? And would you agree this means that the two events happened
at the same p-time?

Jesse