Jesse,

Here is a clearer, unambiguous and more general way to define p-time
simultaneity in terms of proper times. Let me know what you think. I'll
also address your latest questions in separate replies.......

Drop an arbitrary coordinate system onto an arbitrary space. Place a clock
at each grid intersection. I don't think we even have to worry about those
clocks being synchronized initially. (We do assume only that physical
processes, including the rate of time, follow the same relativistic laws at
all locations.) Place a stationary observer with each clock just for
terminological convenience. We don't really need this coordinate clock
system but I include it to address your concerns.

Each clock will display the coordinate time of its grid intersection, which
will also be the proper time of the stationary observer at that location.

These grid clocks will run at different rates depending on the
gravitational potentials of their grid locations.

Do you agree?

Now also introduce an arbitrary number of observers either stationary, or
moving relative to this grid, each with its own proper time clock, some
accelerating, some with just constant relative motion.

This model covers all possible types of relativistic time effects
(disregarding black holes and other types of horizons for the moment).

Do you agree?

It is possible for all observers in this space to have knowledge of the
relativistic conditions of all other observers as well as themselves. In
other words they can know the equations governing how any observer would
view any other observer.

Do you agree?

Thus it is possible for all observers to know the RATES of all proper
clocks in this system, and all observers will agree on all those proper
clock rates.

E.g. all observers would agree that the proper clock in a certain gravity
would be running at 1/2 the rate as clocks in no gravity. All observers
would agree that the proper clock rates of all observers in inertial motion
would be running at the same rate. And all observers would agree that the
proper clock of an observer with a specific acceleration close to the speed
of light would have a proper clock rate half that of a non-accelerating
observer.

Do you agree?

So all observers in this space can agree on all proper time RATES. But to
tie p-time simultaneity to proper times we need to establish a notion of
proper time SIMULTANEITY as well as proper time RATES. So how do observers
know the actual proper time clock reading of any other observer in the
general case without having to initially get together and synchronize their
clocks? (They of course can do this if they wish but they don't actually
have to.)

Well, it's actually easy. They simply tell each other what their proper
clock time readings are and compare them. Observer A sends a light message
to any observer B saying "when I sent this message my proper time was t".
Observer B knows how long it takes to receive that message by both A's and
his own proper clock RATES. As soon as he receives the message he sends a
light reply telling A that when he received the message his proper time was
t'.

In this way it is simple for both A and B to calculate what the other's
proper time was at every past moment of their own proper time, and what it
will be for every future moment of their own proper time, and what it is
now for their current proper times.

Do you agree?

And this proper time relationship is transitive among all observers. In
other words, by all observers establishing a proper time correlation with
some other observer(s) until all observers are included in this proper time
network, every observer will agree on how his proper time correlates 1:1
with the proper times of all other observers in the space.

In this way we establish a 1:1 proper time correlation among all observers
which all observers agree upon. Every observer knows exactly what the
proper time t' of any OTHER observer IS, WAS, OR WILL BE that corresponds
to any proper time t of his OWN.

Note that this is NOT a proper time plane of simultaneity. The proper times
of various observers can be different, but always in a 1:1 knowable way
that all observers agree upon.

Do you agree? I know you said you had a counter example. If so please
present it.

Now the current proper time of any observer always tells the current p-time
(the current present moment). Thus we have now established both the FACT of
a universal p-time common to all observers, AND an operational method to
unambiguously determine that in terms of proper time readings for all
relativistic observers.

Do you agree?

We have thus established a current P-time plane of simultaneity in terms of
the (differing) proper times of all observers in our test space, and a
method to determine all previous (and theoretically future) P-time planes
of simultaneity in terms of the proper times of all observers in our test
space.

Do you agree?

Edgar