On Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:16:03 AM UTC, Liz R wrote:

> On 6 March 2014 15:47, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>
>> Could be - I have heard the factoid that some sharks need to keep
>> moving. What I don't know is whether it is an urban myth or not.
>>
>> As ever, the fount of all knowledge has the answer!
>
> From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark#Respiration
> Respiration
>
> Like other fish, sharks extract oxygen from seawater as it passes over
> their gills <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gill>. Unlike other fish, shark
> gill slits are not covered, but lie in a row behind the head. A modified
> slit called a spiracle <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiracle> lies just
> behind the eye, which assists the shark with taking in water during
> respiration <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquatic_respiration> and plays
> a major role in bottom–dwelling sharks. Spiracles are reduced or missing in
> active pelagic <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelagic>
> sharks.[21]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark#cite_note-Gilbertson-21>While
> the shark is moving, water passes through the mouth and over the
> gills in a process known as "ram ventilation". While at rest, most sharks
> pump water over their gills to ensure a constant supply of oxygenated
> water. A small number of species have lost the ability to pump water
> through their gills and must swim without rest. These species are *obligate
> ram ventilators* and would presumably
> asphyxiate<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asphyxiate>if unable to move.Obligate
> ram ventilation is also true of some pelagic bony fish species.
> [32] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark#cite_note-32>

obligate ram ventilators are the original and TRUE shark and it's pure
Political Correctness gone mad those gill suckers - those SINO's - get same
named. The agenda of diversity and equality has reached sharks now and you
buy every word like a little sheep bah bah bah to you.

alternatively, I do so like a happy ending...where everyone gets a salty
little slice of the sticky 'Right' cake (in the voice of dame edna
Everett )

more generally, it's kinda fun not googling to the end, and we all seem to
have tacitly partook. Someone had to google in the end of course, and your
timing was wonderful my dear, you sweet fragile thing (voice of Edgar in
the flavour of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w)