On 08 Mar 2014, at 06:32, LizR wrote:

On 6 March 2014 22:06, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

Liz, meanwhile you might try this one, which is a bit more easy than the transitivity case:

Show that (W,R) respects []A -> <>A if and only if R is ideal.

(I remind you that R is ideal means that there is no cul-de-sac world at all in (W,R)).

OK, I consult my diary and...

Ideal is as you say, yes! :-)

Excellent :)

So []A -> <>A means that A is some proposition universally true in an illuminated, accessible multiverse, and this implies that A is possible in that multiverse.

Not at all, and you know that, as you show below.

Hang on I must be missing something.

OK, I hang on.

That seems trivially obvious! Maybe you could point out what I've misunderstood here...

It is not "misunderstanding", it is precipitation.

Let me try again.

OK.

[]p means that for any world alpha, p is true in all worlds accessible from alpha.

That is much better.

(Doesn't it? Well if p is a proposition, which might be 'x is false' then that seems reasonable).

You lost me here, but it looks like non relevant, even for you.

And <>p means that, ah, ~[]~p iirc. Which is to say it isn't true that there is a world accessible from alpha in which ~p.

~[]~p means that it is not true that ~p is true in all worlds accessible from alpha. That is, it means that there is a world beta, with alpha R beta, such that beta verifies p. <>p true in alpha = I can access, from alpha, to a world where p is true.

But isn't that implied by []p?

You fall again back in Leibniz. May be I should have started from Kripke immediately.

Have you hang on, in your toilet, the fundamentals two Kripke principles?

*
                                                                               *
* []p is true in alpha = For all beta such that (alpha R beta) we have beta verifies p. *
*
                                                                               *
* <>p is true in alpha = There is a beta verifying p such that (alpha R beta) *
*
                                                                               *

I must have a definition wrong somewhere.

Correct.

Do you see that (W, R) is reflexive entails that (W,R) is ideal? If all worlds access to themselves, no world can be a cul-de-sac world, as a cul-de-sac world don't access to any world, including themselves.

Reflexive is alpha R alpha for all alpha, so no cul de sac is possible.

Correct.

More precision later, notably for the transitive case.