On Tuesday, March 18, 2014 3:14:48 PM UTC, John Clark wrote:

> Jesse, somehow our conversation has bifurcated into 2 quite different
> topics, environmental concerns and fundamental physics, today I'll just
> talk about the physics.
>
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 8:05 PM, Jesse Mazer <laser...@gmail.com<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>
> >  I already addressed your confusion about the implications of black hole
>> entropy in detail in my post at
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/everything-list/hJ9bNWqoAzI/QTrL0CopHJ8Jwhich
>>  you never replied to.
>>

> And I never responded to it because it was incoherent, I give the
> following exchange as a example:
>
> John: "If there are 2 different states of the universe that could have
> produced things as they are now then there is no way to decide between them
> and history is unknowable (just as it is in the Game of Life) and the laws
> of physics are not reversible.
>
> Jesse: "You think in classical statistical mechanics there can't be 2
> different ways to get to a given *macrostate*??? If so you are badly
> confused."
>
> And I'm the one who is supposed to be confused??? There is not one drop of
> Quantum Mechanics or probability in the Game of Life, it is 100% classical
> mechanics,  and yet there CAN be 2 or more ways to get to a given
> macrostate. It's 100% deterministic so if I show you a Game of Life pattern
> you can calculate what  it's future evolution will be (there doesn't seem
> to be anything analogous to chaos in the Game)  but you can't figure out
> it's history was, or at least not a unique history.
>
> >> Today the deepest understanding of entropy comes from the study of
>>> Black Holes. From:
>>>
>>> http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/~luca/Topics/bh/entropy_origin.html
>>>
>>> "S [entropy ] is the log of the number of quantum mechanically distinct
>>> ways that the black hole could have been made, or information lost in the
>>> creation of the black hole"
>>>

>> > Are you suggesting that this new "deep" understanding invalidates the
>> older understanding of entropy as the number of microstates for a given
>> macrostate, the one you yourself quoted in your last post?
>>

> I am saying that Kip Thorn, one of the world's best physicists, wrote on
> page 446 of his book  "A Black Hole's entropy is the logarithm of the
> number of ways that the hole could have been made".  And I'm saying that in
> classical physics a state can produce only one future state, but any given
> state can have been produced in more than one way, therefore the number of
> microstates in a Black Hole must equal to k times the number of states that
> made it where k is some constant integer. Therefore if Entropy is
> proportional to the logarithm of the number of microstates in a system then
> according to the laws of logarithms Entropy MUST also be proportional to
> the logarithm of the number of ways the system could have been produced.
>
> > Assuming the unitary nature of quantum mechanics is preserved so that
> [...]

This business of saying gravity is not a Force because it's the slope of
spacetime. The implication is that we define a Force as an  effect we do
not know the cause of. But now we don't know the cause of space time, so
perhaps now that is the force.  I

We know the underlying causation of Natural Selection. Perhaps hwe should
drop the bit about the Force there too,.

The Hilbert business still plays on my mind. You were wrong you
know...saying he just published a bolt on. He published the complete
solution. This was the received wisdom until the 90's when a couple of
researchers published claims they'd found the printers negativs, and
Hilbert's was unfinished. But someone around the same time chopped a huge
chunk of the print printers negative away, exactly were it would logically
go. Which at the very least llooks rather dodgy.

So where do you stand? Do you still credit Einstein alone, and say that had
he not discovered it, no one else would have , for 50 years or more. How do
keep that one standing up?