Jesse Mazer <laserma...@gmail.com> Wrote:

> > you made a sweeping statement that "If there are 2 different states of
> the universe that could have produced things as they are now then the laws
> of physics are not reversible."

Yes I said that and is one of the most non-controversial things I ever said.

> > This would be true if [...]

There is no "if" about it!  What I said was a tautology and like all
tautologies it has the virtue of always being true.

> > "things as they are now" referred exclusively to the MICROstate, but if
> it referred to the MACROstate it would be wrong, since classical
> statistical mechanics is definitely a reversible theory,

Chaos theory tells us that even in classical physics a change in a micro
state can soon lead to a change in the macro state. And if it's a
reversible theory then there are NOT 2 different states of the universe
that could have produced things as they are now.

> >> I am saying that Kip Thorn, one of the world's best physicists, wrote
>> on page 446 of his book  "A Black Hole's entropy is the logarithm of the
>> number of ways that the hole could have been made".
>>

> > He didn't say that was a new DEFINITION of entropy though

Who gives a damn if it's a definition or a popsicle? And what's with the
all capital letters? It's almost as if you think the word is especially
relevant to the question at hand.  The fact remains that if  Entropy is
proportional to the logarithm of the number of microstates something can be
in and still have the same macrostate then it's also proportional  to the
logarithm of the number of ways the thing could have been produced and
still have the same macrostate.

> > I already linked in my last post to another book by Kip Thorne where he
> [...]

In one of your typical posts you provide about 6.02 * 10^23 links, but you
never give any indication that you understand one word in them.  As a
example see below:

> >  the "entropy of a black hole", which had already been DEFINED to be the
> surface area times a specific constant factor based on arguments from black
> hole thermodynamics

MEGA-BULLSHIT!!! Bekenstein DERIVED that the entropy of a Black Hole was
proportional to it's 2D surface area, to just define it that way without
any arguments showing how it was consistent with physics previous use of
the word "entropy" would have been imbecilic,  and Jacob Bekenstein is not
an imbecile.

> > If physicists were actually proposing a change in the basic statistical
> mechanics definition of entropy as a result of the theoretical study of
> black holes then one would expect modern statistical mechanics textbooks
> would reflect this re-definition,

WHY?? How would it change anything about how we imagine the world works?
Regardless of what English word you call it  if  X is proportional to the
logarithm of the number of microstates something can be in and still have
the same macrostate then X is also proportional  to the logarithm of the
number of ways the thing could have been produced and still have the same
macrostate.  AND if X is proportional  to the logarithm of the number of
ways the thing could have been produced and still have the same macrostate
then X is also proportional to the logarithm of the number of microstates
something can be in and still have the same macrostate.

> >> And I'm saying that in classical physics a state can produce only one
>> future state, but any given state can have been produced in more than one
>> way
>>

> > Many models in classical physics are reversible,

Some deterministic laws are reversible and some, like the deterministic
laws of the Game of Life, are not reversible.  But even if the laws of
physics were 100% reversible that wouldn't necessarily mean that a given
system was symmetrical with regard to time; even the second law of
thermodynamics by itself is not enough to explain the arrow of time. It's
true that there are vastly more high entropy states than low ones so it's
overwhelmingly likely that tomorrow entropy will be higher than it was
today, but by using the very same reversible logic and reversible physical
laws we could also conclude that entropy was almost certainly higher
yesterday than it was today, but that is clearly not the case. So if
time's preferred direction doesn't come from physical law it must come from
the initial conditions, and we need to add a past hypothesis, namely that
in the distant past for some reason entropy was much lower than it is
today. We call that distant past event "The Big Bang".

> >> why in hell do you say Entropy is proportional to the logarithm of the
>> number of microstates something can be in and still have the same
>> macrostate,  but it is not proportional  to the logarithm of the number of
>> ways the thing could have been produced?
>>

> > Because it's logically possible to have laws where, unlike in unitary
> QM, it's NOT true that two notions are equivalent--this would be true if
> information is genuinely lost when a black hole swallows up matter and
> later evaporates.

If Physics is not unitary then the old definition of Entropy becomes
meaningless with regard to Black Holes because it would contain no
microstates you could take a logarithm of, but it would still be true that
the Entropy of a Black Hole is proportional to the logarithm of the ways it
could have been formed.
And for everything else except for a Black Hole the old understanding would
still work. Entropy would still be proportional to the logarithm of the
number of microstates something can be in and still have the same
macrostate, and it would still be  proportional  to the logarithm of the
number of ways the thing could have been produced and still have the same
macrostate.

And the leader of the small minority of physicists who thought that things
were not unitary, Stephen Hawking, now says he was wrong and things are
unitary after all.

>> As far back as 1963 it was noticed that  clocks tick slower on the first
>> floor of the physics building at MIT than they do on the second floor,
>> Special Relativity had no explanation for this but General Relativity did
>>

> > That is not "in an elevator in free fall in deep space",

If gravity is not involved General Relativity is not needed, Special
Relativity works just fine.

> >> Yes something under pressure (or tension) does contain more energy than
>> something not being compressed and that does bend spacetime, but in
>> addition to that there is a additional contribution made by pressure
>> itself.
>>

> > I wasn't saying that pressure and tension didn't have to be accounted
> for separately from energy density when calculating the spacetime
> curvature, I was just saying I thought that pressure and tension could
> probably be derived from a sufficiently detailed accounting of the
> different types of potential energy at each point in spacetime (whereas I
> think the energy density that appears in the equations just lumps together
> all forms of potential as well as kinetic into one term). I could be wrong
> of course, it's just a hunch.

But that wouldn't explain the fact that something under tension also has
more energy than something not being pulled apart and this does indeed mean
the increase in mass\energy causes more gravitational attraction BUT there
is another component to consider. According to General Relativity another
result of this tension is a gravitational REPULSION not attraction. This
effect isn't talked about as much  as the component made by pressure
because we've seen objects under astronomical amounts of pressure such as a
Neutron Star, and if you want to understand the geology of a Neutron Star
the additional gravitational attraction caused by the pressure becomes
important, but up to now we've never seen a object undergoing comparable
amounts of tension.

Or at least we've never seen something like that before yesterday, after
looking at the polarization patterns of the Cosmic Microwave Radiation it
now looks like the cosmic inflation theory may be correct, and it
hypothesized a substances under enormous tension that produced a huge
repulsive effect.

> >> Special Relativity says nothing about gravity curving something and
>> Einstein never even mentioned spacetime.
>>

> > But later when general relativity was developed, it was shown that
> general relativity reduces to special relativity in the limit as
> mass/energy/pressure/tension go to zero,

As I said Special relativity works just fine if gravity is not involved,

>  > it remains a useful theory rather than having been made completely
> irrelevant by general relativity.

Obviously, and the same could be said of Newton's theory.

> >The above quote never actually says that the lasers are being used to
> measure spacetime curvature rather than spatial curvature

Please show me a place where 3D space is curved but 4D space-time is not
and explain how such a thing could come to be.  As Herman Minkowski,
Einstein's old mathematics teacher and the man who invented the very
concept of spacetime said in the last sentence of his famous paper, the one
Einstein at first didn't like and then became its greatest champion:

 "Henceforth space by itself and time by itself are doomed to fade away
into mere shadows and only a kind of union of the two will preserve a
independent reality".

> > The line OP is the SPATIAL PART OF THE GEODESIC OF THE LIGHT RAY
> [emphasis mine] that travels from source to observer."

And my emphasis is that the geodesic of ANY curved space is the path that a
ray of light takes.

> > Also, if you look at diagrams showing how the angles of a triangle would
> differ depending on curvature, you can see many many examples where they
> draw the triangles on curved surfaces

They're doing the best they can to get your head around a difficult concept
but those are just analogies! Every such example shows a triangle on a
curved 2D surface because nobody knows how to imagine curved 3D space or
knows how to draw such a thing on a piece of paper, much less knows how to
draw curved 4D spacetime.

> > Also see the diagram at the bottom of the right-hand column at tp://
> www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/lm/ch27/ch27.html which shows a
> triangle on a saddle-shaped surface of negative curvature,

And the reason drawing a triangle with a crayon on a horse's saddle tells
you nothing of any profundity about the nature of 4D spacetime even though
the triangle does contain less than 180 degrees is because all you've done
is drawn it on a curved 2D surface and all you've proven is that surface
(the horse's saddle) is not flat.  If you drew it with light beams in a
volume not a surface and the triangle still had less than 180 degrees then
you'd know that higher dimensional things are curved, but nobody knows how
to print a illustration of something like that in a book so they resort to
lower dimensional analogies.

> > the text explicitly says that the three cases are "space is open and
> negatively curved like the shape of a saddle", "space is flat like a sheet
> of paper", and "space is closed and positively curved like the surface of a
> sphere",

And they explicitly say "like" not "is" because it's yet more analogies.
And they're right, curved 3D space is "LIKE" a curved sheet of paper, even
curved 4D spacetime is "LIKE" it, that is to say it's analogous to it and
such analogies are valuable because it's as close as we can get to
visualizing such things, but we shouldn't forget it's not really very close
and nobody can visualize curved 3D space, much less curved 4D. To work out
the details about the consequences of higher dimensional curvature forget
about trying to figure out what it would look like and  just accept what
the mathematics say.

> > obviously they think that light paths tell us something about the
> curvature of 3D spacelike surfaces in the 4D spacetime,

And obviously the number of degrees a triangle formed by those light paths
tells us something about the curvature of 4D spacetime. You're so confused
you've forgotten what side you're arguing on.

> > http://books.google.com/books?id=fzZMuP2sF9sC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA108
>
> "Suppose we construct a surveying apparatus, using lasers and instruments
> capable of precisely measuring distances and angles ... There must be three
> such stations, creating a huge triangle in space. According to the laws of
> Euclidean geometry, we are taught that the sum of the measures of the three
> interior angles of any triangle is 180 degrees. But, this hold true only if
> the SPACE under consideration, containing the triangle, is Euclidean. ...
> Figure 6-21 shows to possible instances where this law of Euclidean
> geometry is violated. At A, we have a continuum with spherical or
> 'positive' curvature, where the sum of measures of the angles will be more
> than 180 degrees. At B, the continuum has 'negative' or saddle-shaped
> curvature, and this kind of non-Euclidean space will result in a total
> interior angle measure of less than 180 degrees. The drawings in Fig. 6-21
> apply just as well to THREE-SPACE as to two-space"

Correct. And the reason the drawings were of curved two-space rather than
curved three-space is because nobody knows how to draw or imagine curved
three-space, so we do the best we can and make analogies.

> > http://books.google.com/books?id=kgsBbv3-9xwC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA275
>
> Describing a universe with positive curvature, the author writes "This
> means that the triangle contains three right angles and so has an angular
> sum of 270. In principle this could be checked in our universe using a
> large enough 'triangle'--perhaps by shining laser beams between space
> probes." Then after describing other possible geometries, the author writes
> "In summary then, the intrinsic 'geometry' of a universe can be appreciated
> by any beings that happen to live inside the universe. One does not need to
> have access to any 'higher' dimensions within which the curvature of the
> space is clear to see. Simple geometrical experiments (testing the angles
> of a suitably large triangle) will show the inhabitants what sort of
> universe they live in. Visualizing the curvature of a two-dimensional
> universe would be as impossible for the flat ants living in it as
> comprehending that our THREE-DIMENSIONAL universe [making clear that he's
> talking about curvature of 3D space, not 4D spacetime] has curvature is to
> us."

OK fine, no argument, "Simple geometrical experiments (testing the angles
of a suitably large triangle) will show the inhabitants what sort of
universe they live in".  Ah..., do you actually think this passage supports
your position and not mine?? If I'd found this quote first it would have
been me who was quoting it to you not the other way around. Read it again.
Slowly, carefully.

> > If you go to http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521857147 and click the
> cover to "look inside the book", then search for the phrase "initially
> parallel laser beams", you find a page where he talks about the current
> hypothesis that "the universe is flat, but accelerating" and says that this
> means "when averaged over large volumes containing huge numbers of stars
> and galaxies, the average curvature is flat IN THREE DIMENSIONS [clearly
> indicating he's talking about a flat 3-curvature, not 4-curvature];

Show me a place in the universe where 3D space is flat but 4D spacetime is
not. Or if you don't want to do that just show me one of Einstein's field
equations where time is equated to X where X is a quantity that has no
spacial component or things like speed, mass, monentum or energy that have
no meaning without space.  Do either of those things and you've won the
argument.

> the analogy of a flat plane, a space in which, on average, two initially
> parallel laser beams will always remain parallel and, if we could do the
> measurement, all very large triangles would always have their interior
> angles sum to 180 degrees."

OK fine. Ah..., do you actually think this passage supports your position
and not mine?? He even uses the word "analogy". A curved sheet of paper is
analogous to curved 4D spacetime, but a curved sheet of paper is NOT curved
4D spacetime.

>>> tells you the proper time along any arbitrary timelike path and the proper
>>> distance along any arbitrary spacelike path.

>> technique.  I repeat, If you don't like light beams and triangles for some
>> reason then how do you determine if spacetime is curved or not? Please be
>> as clear and specific as I have been.
>>

> > You obviously aren't reading very carefully, I already linked to where
> to go to find info on the procedure for measuring local spacetime curvature

You've provided wall to wall links and tons of quoted verbiage, but I don't
think you understand any of it. Prove me wrong, not with yet another link
(I know how to use Google too), but with an explanation in your own words
on how you would perform a experiment to determine if your local spacetime
is curved. I have given a clear explanation on how I would do it, but you
don't like how I did it so I want to know how you would.

>>> accelerating elevator, this particular setup of lasers might count as a
>>> valid way of measuring spatial curvature in *some* coordinate system, but
>>> [...]
>> degrees in a triangle then all of them do.
>>

> > Only if you ignore my point about angles being different for observers
> at different velocities that pass through the point in spacetime where two
> lines meet.

Different observers might disagree about the distance between 2 events in
space or the distance between them in time but they will always agree on
the distance between them in spacetime. So different observers might
disagree about the size of any of the individual 3 angles of the light
triangle, but when the 3 numbers were added up all observers would get the
same number

> > How would you define the angle at a single EVENT of two lasers meeting?

An event is a point is spacetime, so mount 3 lasers that fire in 2
directions 180 degrees apart at any 3 points, the point in spacetime where
the photons from the lasers intersect forms the vertices of the triangle
you're measuring.

> > could you please also address the question I asked about whether you
> understand that an observer could be within the volume of an accelerating
> observer yet himself qualify as an inertial observer,

I already did, everybody agrees on how many degrees the triangle has so
everybody agrees if the space the triangle is drawn in is curved or not.

 John K Clark