On Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:48:30 PM UTC-5, Craig Weinberg wrote:

> On Thursday, March 20, 2014 1:01:43 PM UTC-4, Gabriel Bodeen wrote:

>>> If that were true, the oldest words would describe things like danger or
>>> food, but they don't. They are concepts like I, who, two, three and five (
>>> http://media.tumblr.com/8b5d411063f5291737c4a36681474205/tumblr_inline_mmrdbhECQY1qz4rgp.png
>>> )
>>>

>> BTW, that chart is about the most-conserved words in the Indo-European
>> family of languages.  It says nothing either way about what the earliest
>> words were.
>>

> Most conserved = earliest words that are still in use.

Indeed, but that doesn't rescue the original point.  The earliest words
still in use today don't tell us what the earliest words were.

> Computationalism need not have anything to do with the brain. It's about
> consciousness arising from computation, i.e., it supports strong AI, which
> would not be about brains.

Ah, that's an important comment.  You are indeed talking about a specific
kind of CTM that wasn't clear to me.  Thanks for clarifying.  The usual
sense of CTM is that consciousness is literally computation, not that it
arises from computation.

> The brain doesn't figure into this at all. My point was that if
> consciousness is computation, and qualia are just complex computational
> labels, then we should expect languages to develop from simple,
> modal-independent forms to modal-dependent forms in which computations
> become so diversified that the lose any common vocabulary. Would you agree
> that this is precisely the opposite of what is seen in nature?

Yes, I still agree about how we observe language to form.  It's just that
your characterization of CTM as making the predictions you mention is
wrong.  It only makes those predictions when supplemented with additional
assumptions that are not generally part of CTM.

> They don't reduce to a binary code like we would expect them to in CTM.

That is not a prediction of CTM.  Here's a relevant quote from the Stanford
Encyclopedia of Philosophy: "Turing himself seems to have been of the
opinion that a machine operating in this way would literally be doing the
same things that the human performing computations is doing—that it would
be 'duplicating' what the human computer does. But other writers have
suggested that what the computer does is merely a 'simulation' of what the
human computer does: a reproduction of human-level performance, perhaps
through a set of steps that is [at] some level isomorphic to those the
human undertakes, but not in such a fashion as to constitute doing the same
thing in all relevant respects."

-Gabe