Spud,

Better evidence is that the little ice age was caused by solar variations
esp the Maunder minimum. It lasted too long to be attributed to volcanos I
would think. However volcanos and smaller asteroid impacts do certainly
cause temporary temperature dips lasting for periods of a few years to
perhaps a decade and these can initiate profound social changes. There is
fairly good evidence that the dark ages were partially initiated by an
eruption c. 535 AD.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_weather_events_of_535–536

Edgar