On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>wrote:

>>> This thread seems to be mostly about politics. To be fair, John seems to
>>> be in the minority here in wanting to discuss this from a scientific and
>>> technological perspective.
>>>
>>> He raises a number of points that I have raised myself in previous
>>> discussions. Instead of focusing on such issues, pop culture distractions
>>> (Fox News etc.) and political tribalism seem to get all of the attention.
>>>

>> The thing is that I don't know much in climate and I prefer to let
>> persons in the field handle that, by default I would believe them in these
>> matters, they have more knowledge than me on these.
>>

> I agree, and it would take years of study for a non-expert to be able to
> have an informed opinion.
>
> But scientists are humans, and unfortunately we have seen over and over
> again that they can fall prey to group think, confirmation bias and other
> -- very human -- tendencies. One contemporary exemple is nutrition science
> -- more and more, we are seeing that the consensus here was
> pseudo-scientific and influenced by lobbies. The food pyramid probably
> killed more than cigarettes.
>
> In the case of climate science, there are a number of red flags. For me,
> the major ones are:
>
> - claims of 100% consensus: never a sign of serious, rigorous science;

True for media. But non-100% consensus on trends and models, even given
disagreements about particularities, scopes, use of models etc. point to
simple commonsense notion of not polluting the sphere you live on.

> - claims of certainty over the behaviour of a highly complex system -> I
> don't have to be a climatologist to raise my eyebrows at this;

Behavior and market dominantly presuppose however: absolute certainty that
it doesn't matter. That this sparks hyperbolic reaction in non rigorous
contexts is natural.

> - scientists using emotional, loaded terms like "deniers";
> - so many models that any correct predictions don't appear to have
> statistical significance;
> - retroactive cherry picking of models;
> - there doesn't seem to be any amount of falsification that will lead the
> mainstream of the field to reconsider their hypothesis;
>
> Again, I admit I may be completely wrong. But there are red flags.

You can only run with best accessible models and levels, so anybody can be
wrong.

Given the vast overlap of so many systems and models interacting, producing
shocks and spikes, I'll bet you can only do worse by accelerating all kinds
of imbalance, pollutions, pacific garbage islands and all the side effects
of multiplying, accelerating cherry picked natural/chemical processes for
the whims of the free individual and his market.

Ok, I'm not a climate scientist, but I still bet the above is stupid.  :-)

>> I do not believe in conspiracy either...
>>

> I don't understand this position. In human history, conspiracies seems to
> be a very frequent event. Recently we learned of a vast conspiracy by
> western governments to implement total surveillance.
>
> Here I see another red flag -- the ridicule surrounding any suggestion of
> conspiracy seems to benefit precisely the ones in power.

Conspiracy is too strong and particular for self-serving idiocy we practice
globally in this regard. Sure, dominant idiots/interests will work
together; but there is no intricate plan beyond rather obvious self serving
dominance and gain I can parse.

>> and all the comments about the "all or nothing" are complete BS... I
>> don't see any point why we couldn't transition slowly to more sustainable
>> source of energy...
>>

> I hope we do. Unless you are suggesting we do it by coercion.
> I witnessed the industry and economy of my home country (Portugal), being
> destroyed by a state-enforced transition to wind power. Meanwhile, more and
> more people are falling below the poverty line while not even the middle
> class can afford to remain warm in winter (energy is too expensive because
> 80% of the energy bill subsidises the wind mills).

Yes, we have to learn to adjust and adapt to this kind of problem and the
question is how to minimize such effect. But this isn't a problem of
climate science if we're clear that market priorities and current market
state frames this problem. Fossil fuel interests etc. should effin pay for
the energy bills and warmth of people in Portugal in this sense as cleanup
compensation for the trillions they have made on our backs.

>> I don't see here in europe the kind of group anouncing doomsday and
>> having a discourse like spudboy is saying... what he believe is just that
>> beliefs... not facts. The green parties in europe certainly don't advocate
>> such policies...
>>

>>  and certainly not in my country (belgium) can't talk much for other
>> countries, but they seems to be more or less the same views... No one is
>> advocating to transition tomorrow (as in tomorrow tomorrow) to a full solar
>> power (or other) and shut down all nuclear power plants...
>>

> Germany is scaling down its nuclear energy production and plans to shut
> down all of it's nucler power plants in the next two decades. This is due
> to political pressure from the green party amongst others. Meanwhile, it is
> reactivating coal power plants (renewable sources are just not enough) and
> air pollution in Berlin is already measurably higher.

Yes, but Germany is at least at 25% renewable energy today from 5% around
2000, and technically still on course with targeting 80% by 2050. Lignite
coal is polluting and the problem is more complex than you illustrate:
wrong incentive structure of CO2 certificate system makes it too cheap to
pollute => if politicians raise this, then people are angry politically for
higher price of renewables. Again, the market shoots itself in the foot
like an addict and needs help.

Plus green activists often don't see logic of counter-intuitive things like
expanding grid and storage capacity, making it more flexible for spikes and
troughs of transitioning hybridized system. Or "wind mills and renewable
energies yes, but no in my backyard" and idiocy of local
politics/personalities/feuds. To confuse these kinds of complexities, I
sketch crudely here, and concluding "I'm not sure this works", is not
convincing to me.

> In Portugal, the green party will oppose any means of producing energy on
> principle, be it renewable or not. These are the cases I know.

Similar to the idiocy I just described in Germany.

>>  they are even people (green or not) considering the LFTR reactor we were
>> talking about... climate and policies arount the mitigation of the global
>> warming are not binary... either we do everything or nothing.... even if we
>> were really doomed, that's not a reason not to try to mitigate things...
>> even slowly, slow extinction seems better than dying tomorrow... and
>> starting today even if today we thing we're doomed, doesn't mean tomorrow
>> (and because we started today) we won't find a solution escaping this
>> predicted doom... so I can't agree with an argument saying we should do
>> nothing just because new form of energy production cannot currently totally
>> replace the current form of production.
>>

> So, instead of forcing us to do things, why not encourage us to invest in
> renewable energy tech companies? If the tech is viable, it will generate a
> lot of revenue. No need to force anyone to do anything. Do you think that
> capitalists prefer oil money to other types of money?

No, but they think short term. You're right incentive structure of
regulation plays a key role.

> If you can't even get investors (because the tech is not viable yet), then
> this might be a good indication that doing it by coercion will only serious
> human problems. Doing it slow will only lead to misery slower.

Here you presuppose rational investors in rational market, which I can't.
Tapering off carefully is the only viable option if the drug is short term
material idiocy of minority of overly dominant interests. See both Portugal
and Germany indeed. But this assumes that you make a bet that multiplying
poisonous/toxic outputs is unwise given the already complex, volatile, and
intertwined state of this blue sphere.

If there is a chance to be a toxic force; I'd like that minimized please. I
think the label "denier" is thus plausible, not in derogatory but in
positional sense, because the inaction against current market trends to
keep merrily polluting, assumes absolute certainty that that chance equals
0. This raises a huge red flag on fundamental level that overrules
quibbling on some models to me. "Where is the 100% foolproof evidence for
that?", I'd like to hear. But sure, I may be just as wrong. But for now I
bet on certain winds nonetheless. PGC