On 26 March 2014 17:13, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
<mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 3/25/2014 9:57 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

    You don't need an *exact* copy, just a good enough copy. If an exact copy
were
    needed, either at the quantum level or to an infinite number of decimal
places,
    then we could not survive from one moment to the next, since in a very
small period
    there are quite gross physical changes in our bodies.

    My point exactly - We DON'T survive moment to moment except in rough
approximation
    and so as we deteriorate in old age we may come to approximate topsoil.  The
    question is, why should conscious continuity preserve "us" while physical
continuity
    doesn't count?  Is it just our ego that says consciouness should be
preserved - no
    matter how much it changes?

Physical continuity is important only insofar as it leads to psychological continuity. Psychological continuity is important because we are programmed to think it is; it has no intrinsic importance.

I'd say physical continuity is fairly important to most people - and it's easier to understand natural selection for it than for psychological continuity.

Brent
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality by not dying."
         --- Woody Allen