On 27 March 2014 23:42, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 March 2014 19:11, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>
>> On 26 Mar 2014, at 22:30, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday, March 27, 2014, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au>
>> wrote:

>>> than the Planck level) if we are to survive from moment to moment, and that
>>> implies there are only a finite number of possible brains and hence mental
>>> states.
>>> >

>>> Steady on, I don't think it does that at all, unless you constrain the
>>> physical world to be bounded somehow in both space and time.
>>>
>>> I think you were just trying to say that the space of brains (and
>>> mental states) is discrete, something I could agree with.
>>>

>> Unless you allow brains to grow infinitely big, there are only a finite
>> number of possible brains even in an infinite universe.
>>
>> Assuming comp. If the brain is defined by its "material" quantum state,
>> and assuming electron position is a continuous observable, then we can have
>> an infinity of brains, even when limiting their size.
>>

> Is electron position a continuous observable? Even if it is and there are
> an infinity of brains, why should that result in an infinity of minds? It
> would seem unlikely that brains would evolve so that an arbitrarily small
> change in the position of an electron would cause a change in
> consciousness, and we know that even gross changes in the brain, as occur
> in stroke or head injury, sometimes have remarkably little effect.

I think Bruno must have a materialist hat on here?! In comp the
substitution level isn't necessarily at the level of individual electrons,
surely...

But that raises another question, for me at least - in comp are there only
finitely many possible states of mind? So one would literally be able to
travel full circle through all possible minds - eventually?