On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:22:16 PM UTC+1, Brent wrote:

>  On 4/16/2014 2:10 PM, LizR wrote:
>
>  On 17 April 2014 07:58, Stephen Paul King
> <step...@provensecure.com<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>
>>  Polygamy is common for most mammals....
>>

>  Because most mammals don't extend their range from Africa to the Arctic.
> As I said, there's a tendency towards polygamy in hot countries, but it
> wouldn't work for humans in cold ones because more parental investment is
> required to rear offspring successfully.
>

> But even where the living is easy, polygamy creates the problem of young
> men without women - which tends to be socially destabilizing and favors
> raiding and warfare.  Even in the muslim nations where a man can have as
> many as four wives, polygamy tends to be rare except where there is a lot
> of tribal warfare.  In Utah where there are fundamentalist Mormon towns,
> boys sadly tend to be forced out on their own in their early teens.
>
> Brent

Polygamy is not rare. It's the dominant structure of the entire world bar
Western culture. What you mean is, polygamous families are relatively rare
in polygamous societies. Yes...because it's all stacked toward the top. The
Chinese prince has 7000 wives. A large section has none. It's not about the
number of wives but the strong forces of natural selection the system as a
whole. Women have no status..y.at all..they are property. The low value of
female life drives female infanticide at grotesque levels....as part of the
annual routine. Child marriage....men that marry children because they want
a slave. Father's that give their daughters' over to that knowingly and
think nothing of it. Mutilation, women and girls murdered to settle
arguments....to show good faith.....and not just murdered, but  subjected
to brutal, sadistic torture -- eyes wide open. And then murdered. There's a
very strong evolutionary link between all of that, and the prevailing
culture of the extended family. A child has an extended family...a clan,.
Loyalty goes there. Respect derives, and social standing. Multiple wives is
one of the natural extensions of the large extended family.....reflecting
the status of women as property.

The West - only recently really - saw evolution in culture in the direct of
something not seen before...a revolution...a welcome one too. Reputation
based networks weakened the dependence on ex tended family and ethnic
politics. The core family unit emerged, weakening and dissolving strong
ties to relations networks. Monogamy appeared....a new for women, a totally
new and radical status for women and girls. One man, one
woman....responsibilities shared and divided. In a nutshell the antecedents
of Individualism, could the scientific revolution have taken place without
Individualism.  It's hard to see how....a lot of serious thought don't
clear much any of it up nor. Hard to see how.

Oh well.

But yeah....Mormon excesses in Utah...thanks for heads-up