On Monday, May 19, 2014 5:52:35 PM UTC-4, Jason wrote:

> Craig,
>
> What about computer/automated trading software that currently executes the
> majority of stock trades in the world?  See:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-frequency_trading
>
> Then there are also those text messaging services where people pay $1 or
> more per text message to chat with what they think are humans (but are
> actually bots). Not to mention bitcoin mining, and poker bots.

Sure, but what we see is that automated trading software works well, until
it doesn't, and markets crash. If the global economy does collapse, or is
gradually collapsing, it may be in no small part due to the cascading
effects of high frequency trading. Its risks are no less than any trader
who relies on technical analysis, it just happens much faster.

As for the other methods you mention, I would expect that very few will
have long lasting success. Eventually counter-bots might make bots
unprofitable, or they may become illegal. All of these are examples of
unsustainable, parasitic mechanisms. What I'm talking about is the opposite
- a machine that does not feed on the deception but actually produces an
honest value for itself and for civilization.

Craig