On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 1:58 AM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au>wrote:

> On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 11:12:56AM +1200, LizR wrote:

> wanting
> > >>

> > > Makes sense, of course, but I'm not so sure. I don't think we know
> enough
> > > at this point to estimate the diversity of the solution space for
> > > biologically evolved entities with human-level intelligence or above.
> It
> > > could be that something very similar to us is the only viable
> solution, or
> > > the most likely solution.
> > >
> > > Functionally similar (perhaps), but certainly not genetically similar.
> We
> > aren't even gentically similar enough to interbreed with any other
> species
> > that evolved on the same planet under very similar conditions to us - for
> > example, we are very closely related to chimps, but we still can't
> > interbreed with them.
> >
> > It is however fascinating that we're so fascinated by this idea. From "I
> > married a monster from outer space" via Mr Spock to "Mars needs women!".
> >

> I agree with Liz. Anyone who thinks otherwise has no feeling for just
> how ginormous the number 4^1 billion is. That is the size of the
> solution space using Terrestrial DNA (4 base pairs, around a billion
> base pairs makes up human DNA).
>
> For comparison, the number of protons in the visible universe is a
> mere 4^132 or so.

Sure, but the representation is very brittle. How many of those 4^1 billion
leads to viable organisms? This is why, when exposed to radiation, we get
cancer instead of super-powers...

Then, the space of solutions may be further restricted by the evolutionary
process itself. Just because some solution is valid, that doesn't mean that
it is likely that it can be discovered through iterative improvement.

Best,
Telmo.