On 24 May 2014, at 06:47, Kim Jones wrote:

Actually, the below quoted text I was responding to was by Bruno.

(OK, just to be clear the quote was from Hibbsa).

On 23 May 2014, at 10:00 pm, ghib...@gmail.com wrote:

I've been saying that it isn't necessary to refute something that contains no knowledge about something fundamental to its claim. Consciousness was never understood...and it's reasonable to think it is the more important mystery of computation, than anything contained in the discovery of computers, so far. It would be like, as I said, assuming something vast about matter in 1700 before anything about matter had been discovered, and building streams of logic from that along. What we'd have missed out on, was the discovery of chemistry, the scientific method and eventually atoms and QM, if we'd gone a way like that. Why would it be any different here?

This is very interesting. Are you saying that if we somehow get our assumptions right - in whatever period and under whatever framework, theory etc. - and this, quite apart from the level of our knowledge, then it might be possible to circumvent the need for the endless search for the knowledge that would eventually get us closer to the truth?

This would mean that a lot of science might be the "try hard" view of achieving cultural goals if all we must do is to assume the correct things at the outset and then build our knowledge downstream of these foundational assumptions.

I think in this context of extra-terrestrial technology, supposed to be more or less undeniably real and evident, if you believe the supposed evidence for it these days. Perhaps aliens have not bothered with all the streams of learning in science, computing, mathematics etc. and have gone straight to the cultural goals they envisaged however inconceivable this thought to us might appear. I mean, it is said to be quasi-impossible for beings to cross the vast inter-galactic distances and this is the main argument used in answer to Fermi's Paradox, yet are we not almost certainly - to take a leaf out of GHibbsa's manual momentarily - unconsciously assuming that all sentient, intelligent beings, wherever they arise in the universe, will do the try-hard human thing of slowly and painstakingly amassing their knowledge in painfully slow and logical steps? Why do we assume this? What about Lateral Thinking, where the trick is to bypass logical correctness at every step of the way and to use some very novel and highly illogical procedures to forge previously unseen connections in information that were hidden to our logical mindset? What if the aliens are masters of Lateral Thinking?

The connection are the choice of the axioms. They can't be logical. They are the product of creative insight and bet.

Then we would ipso facto have no way of understanding how they arrived at their technological level, yet we might emulate in some way the spirit of their enterprise which has self-accelerated in a way we can only dream of? Why do we have to spend forever working things out? Surely this is a plodding homo sapiens thing...

Concerning what can be suggested in the third person way, I think the shortcut is provided by abstraction, and hypothetical generalization. Like with embryogenesis, there are pedagogical shortcuts, but it is always more easy for the kids, which have less prejudices. But those leads to creative things, which can just perpetuate the samsara, so that it does not lead per se to truth, but it can provide less and less inappropriate pictures.

Concerning what you can discover from the first person point on view, I think shortcut exists. It might always be a remind of what you already know, but just don't really focus on. Sleep, drugs, art, science, religion, trauma and death might provide shortcuts (as far as we know assuming comp).

About aliens I don't know. Not bothering to learn just means that you can copy others. You don't need to understand relativity and quantum mechanics to make an atomic bomb, although you need the understanding to discover it by yourself, or to figure out its working. Nor do you need to understand how work a brain to copy it, nor does the amoeba needs to understand Kleene's theorem to reproduce itself, but again, that kind of things does not per se lead to being closer to the truth.

So if aliens (relatively to us) did exist, and would be more clever than us, it would be impossible for us to judge if they are really clever, or if they are just barbarians copying still other aliens. Eventually cleverness needs to be evaluated not from their technology but from the way they show respect to us. Technology is not a criteria of intelligence (but of some competence only). The "real" criteria of intelligence is more about what you do with the technology. If they are good, we might indeed learn something.

About the evidences for aliens, my admittedly meager look at this tended me to think that there are evidences that some people wanted us to believe in aliens, at least at some period. A war against aliens might benefit those who search to control people, like in case the war on drug and/or the war on terror was not enough. Yet, I would not bet on that theory either.