On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 1:48:25 PM UTC+1, telmo_menezes wrote:

> On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 11:50 PM, LizR <liz...@gmail.com <javascript:>>wrote:
>
>> On 26 May 2014 23:31, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com <javascript:>
>> > wrote:

>>> Ok, but now you're making the requirements more stringent. We were
>>> talking about outer-space fetishists, not necessarily interbreeding. So
>>> functional similarity might be enough, as alluded in "sheep are nervous". :)
>>>
>>> Well if you're just talking about something you can put your dick in (or
>> an alien can put their proboscis in), that's a (ahem) broad range of items,
>> depending on your tastes (See "A melon for ecstasy" and "The unrepentant
>> necrophile" for some suggestions for things one can "have sex with" in this
>> sense, should one be so inclined).
>>

> Interesting stuff. When I was a teenager, me and some friends would
> pretend that we ran a necrophilia fanzine. We would have conversations
> about it, just to disturb people in hearing range. The title of this
> fictitious publication was "Formaldehyde". Life can get excruciatingly
> boring in small towns...
>

>> However your original reply (in blue above) certainly *appeared* to be
>> talking about interbreeding. (Or did you mean humanoid forms are "the only
>> viable solution for fetishists who happen to get their kicks from anally
>> probing members of other species" ?)
>>

> Ok, I wasn't so clear. My speculation was somewhere in the middle: that
> species can exist that may not necessarily interbreed but are sufficiently
> similar to be sexually attractive to each other -- or, more precisely, to
> elements of each other's species with common sexual tastes.
>
> So the reason why I find this sort of speculation interesting is that we
> assume a hypothetical diversity in the tree of possible organisms of
> human-level intelligence or above. It is compelling to assume high
> diversity, given the combinatorial explosion of possibilities afforded by
> DNA encoding and the biological diversity we can observe on earth. But we
> don't really know.
>
> A counter-hypothesis is that, as complexity increases, the space of viable
> solutions gets smaller. In an extreme case, it could be that human-level
> intelligence always requires humanoids. Even taking our friends the
> orangutans and bonobos. Suppose they keep evolving until they reach
> human-level intelligence. They are quite close now. Maybe they will lose
> their fur and develop more and more human-like features until they become
> sexually attractive to regular humans.

oink - I think the hypothesis makes a lot of sense. An even more
constrained version would that the evolutionary paths to that converged
space of viable solutions, are themselves extremely improbable  the
possibility space of evolutionary histories. which may itself be
constrained by the possibility space of worlds and behind that solar system
evolutions. This bitch could be constrained all the way back man,. forget
turtles; constraints.