On 7 June 2014 20:05, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

*At step 7, it is not in principle. Like in the preceding protocol, we just
assume the existence of an infinite running of the UD in our infinite
(then) space-time structure.*

*The proposition is that if that is the case, and don't see white rabbits,
it means some computations are multiplied, and exploit (perhaps) the random
oracle inherent in that multiplication. *

OK, so the pedagogic purpose of step 7 is to persuade us that our
experiences *could* be the consequence of the above, but it doesn't yet
force that conclusion (because it could still be avoided in the way I have
suggested).

*The step 8 does not, and cannot, refute your point above, but it can
explain how far it goes near a god-of-the-gap move, or a magic move. It is
close to be proved, as to counteract to step 8 you are forced (in the
transfinite) to provide a matter which is non Turing emulable, and non FPI
recoverable. It looks like reifying a mystery to prevent a possible partial
solution to a mystery. Someone might add that matter needs a "Gods"
blessing, also.  *

Step 8, if I've understood it, shows that one can evacuate all traces of
"computation" from a "primordial" physical instantiation (either by
substituting a filmed record, under the particular contingencies of the
movie graph, or by systematically substituting each of the "computational
relations" by fortuitous physical events). This renders the ascription of
"computation" to the physical events as entirely gratuitous. Hence what
follows is either the abandonment of CTM, or alternatively the reversal
consequence. The reversal could only then be avoided by an appeal, as you
say, to some (presumably presently unknown) aspect of "primordial matter"
that is not Turing emulable in principle (e.g. that required actual
computational infinities). Even after such a move, any naturally motivated
appeal to "computation" and its putative relation with consciousness is
hardly any clearer than before.

My own intuition, for what its worth, has always been that any appeal to
"computation" on the assumption of "primordial matter" is somewhat suspect
and ad hoc. ISTM that what is supposed to be "primordial" about a specific
set of entities and their relations is precisely that they *exclusively*
underlie (or more correctly, comprise) everything that is "really real". So
the hierarchical structure of everything we observe thereafter - be it
physical, chemical, biological, physiological, etc. - would be deemed to be
underpinned, exclusively and exhaustively, by such a primordial substratum.

The higher-order levels in the hierarchy could always, at least in
principle, be reduced without loss to the primordial entities and their
relations. They are, IOW, *re-descriptions* of primordial reality, not
independent realities in themselves. If so, the problem in trying to add
"computation" to such a hierarchy is that it must suffer the same fate -
i.e. that of being reduced and eliminated as an ultimately supernumerary
re-description of what is "really" just the primordial substratum. And
consequently, if we attempt to attach consciousness to such a supernumerary
re-description, it must inevitably be exposed to similar reduction and
elimination. This is, I think, what the demonstrations in step 8 lay bare.

By contrast, after the reversal, the primordial entities and relations are
restricted to the natural numbers (or their equivalents) and their additive
and multiplicative relations. It used to trouble me that the same arguments
I have deployed above could seemingly equally be directed at this
alternative "primordial substratum". That is, that whatever was deemed to
"emerge" from arithmetic could in the final analysis always be reduced to
it again without loss and hence ultimately eliminated as being
independently real. But the critical difference here, compared with the
starting point of "primordial matter", seems to be the natural emulation of
computation and the universal machine in arithmetic. Their consequences in
logic seem, at least in principle, to offer a route out of the
reduction/elimination impasse by connecting an "outer structure" of basic
arithmetical entities and relations with a much larger and more complex
"internal reality" consisting of the modes of arithmetical truth. This
latter reality is then no longer vulnerable in the same way to either
reduction or elimination, though the task (substantially) remains, after a
promising beginning, to connect it systematically and robustly with
"observed reality".

It occurred to me that the relation between such a substratum and its truth
domain might be suggested, albeit rather imperfectly, by an analogy with
something like an LCD screen. The idea is that an enormously large
(infinite?) set of possible dramatic storylines can potentially be realised
by a finite set (in this case) of "fundamental" entities and their
relations (i.e. the pixels). Of course, the analogy immediately breaks down
because, in the case of the screen, an external interpreter is necessary
for any "dramatic truth" whatsoever to be accessible. To complete the
analogy one must rather imagine something that is both self-interpreting
and self-filtering (at this point one also importing "The Library of Babel"
into the picture!). Et voila - the UDA!

David