From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of meekerdb

From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of LizR

>>Yes, according to this view we are just "along for the ride".

One way of looking at it. However it seems to me more apt to think of ourselves
as the loci of the consensus of our brain/minds; to view ourselves as the
dynamic manifestation of a consensus quorum, which is the wellhead of our
coming into being.

We are in some sense operators as well in this neural consensus network,
influencing its vast number of constituent neurons with what we feel, believe,
conclude and so on. However all this “feeling”, “believing”, “concluding” is
actually happening in the brain/mind and mediating through what we sense as
being ourselves back through the quorum network (that I suspect is operating
beneath our conscious selves) looping back to us as “doubt”, “certainty”, new
thoughts or focus of attention or whatever beautiful or ugly turn our mind’s
eye takes.

In my view our common view of ourselves, of our “I” is incomplete. We are more
than we are conscious of being and the part of ourselves, of which we are
conscious – IMO -- is the narrating loci of the executive decisional consensus
network that I am arguing is our actual “self”…. Even though we are unaware of
the existence of by far most of its constituent activity.

I quite agree.  Conscious thought is only a small part of our "thinking" in the
more general sense of information processing, problem solving,...  It seems to
be the part associated with language and visualization.

I agree – and one reason I like the term “narrator”. It seems to me that the
evolution of sophisticated language processing in our species will be found to
be linked with the rise of a self-aware aspect of our much larger minds that
has perhaps gone far beyond its original purpose of being the focus of the
linguistic stream. Perhaps having a multitude of competing voices in the head
just drove people mad… schizophrenics suffer from this.

Perhaps – unlike say the considerable amount of processing done on the various
sensorial streams in order to reify them into our experience of reality, all of
which is efficiently performed in a highly parallelized fashion  – evolution
arrived at the understanding that the language center of the mind had to
represent the (wide area) networked consensus of the whole.

Or perhaps language hooked into pre-existing decisional areas and for this
reason is so closely linked to the sensation we experience as being ourselves.
But it seems evident to me that our minds are engaged in a long running daily
conversation with themselves… the internal dialog. Hard to write a single
sentence without the act being accompanied by an internal dialog. I can think
of non-verbal thoughts much more easily without engaging this inner voice in
producing the narration of my mind… for example musical or visual thinking
(even of a technical nature too.. like a blueprint)

As soon as the mode of thought involves language the narration center of my
mind spins up and the words appear (as if “I” had thought them up out of thin
air)

If I were designing a Mars rover and I provided it with memories to use in
learning I would want to filter out the rovers sensor data and store it only
succinct chunks that can be easily found by association.

Agreed, and I believe much of what the brain is doing is dumping unimportant
stuff (or what the mind’s decisional algorithms decide is unimportant) from the
in-coming sensorial stream in order to render in higher definition that which
the quorum based decisional algorithms decide is of higher order importance for
the individual entities survival. Our minds filter out stuff to an outstanding
degree, especially when we are engaged in some task. Experiments, for example
with test subjects engaged in complex two order tasks (where they must pay
attention to say both the shape and the color of randomly appearing objects in
various locations of their screen of view) that show a surprising number of
individuals being functionally blind during these tests (where they are highly
focused on the task) to men dressed in gorilla suits walking clearly through
their field of view.

And I'd only want to store one that indicated something different, something
the rover didn't already "know".  So I'd have it continually look at new data
and compare it with what it would have predicted based on old data.  Only new
data that was not easily predicted would get filed in memory.

Nice compression strategy. Reducing the search space and the noise level is
especially important when dealing with vast amounts of incoming data in near
real time mode.

I think this would instantiate consciousness in the rover.

I think consciousness also requires massive parallelism in processing as a
pre-requisite, and that it relies on parallel algorithms and with considerable
error correction (at each step… the brain is so incredibly noisy it is a wonder
it works at all J )

Of course this could be at different levels depending on how much the rover
itself was in its predictive models.  It might be only aware of it's position,
temperature, battery charge,...  Or is might also be aware of its relation to
JPL, its predictive algorithms, its learning algorithms, ....

Given enough parallelism and time (between reboots) to evolve and build a
memory, I suspect a ghost would eventually emerge within the robot (given
enough processing depth and breadth), as…  at some fuzzy threshold it began to
develop some analogue of the brain’s mirror neurons.

I am quite certain that this is what DARPA is now trying to do…. To build
intelligent self-aware, self-learning machines.

Cheers,

Chris