On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 9:44 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > agnosticism is of course the defining principle of the scientific
> method, so we really need the concept in order to understand the status of
> scientific theories.

I like what Isaac Asimov, a fellow who knew a thing or two about science,
had to say on this subject:

"I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been
an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually
unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that
one didn't have. Somehow, it was better to say one was a humanist or an
agnostic. I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of
reason. Emotionally, I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to prove
that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't
want to waste my time."

  John K Clark