On 10 July 2014 21:21, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> But I think it becomes absurd only because the scenario ignores the fact
> that it is the physical instantiation that provides a reference to the world
> which then gives the computation meaning.  It is the implicit isolation into
> "physical system which is going through a computation" that gives the
> impression that it is just the sequence of states that instantiates the
> computation.

It might save you some typing if you read the whole post before you
comment on a part of it. I dealt with this point a couple of sentences
later.

> Under physicalism, if it goes on walking and quacking like a computation,
> then it *continues to be* a computation; the physical states and outcomes
> are what *constitute* a computation.
>
> OK, if by "physicalism" you include that the computation "goes on" in the
> physical context of a world.

Yes, just so; now read on.

> Furthermore, we need not suppose any such system as the one in question to
> be isolated from the rest of the world and hence devoid of reference. The
> 'relation with the rest of the world', under physicalism, is fully satisfied
> by the *physical* relation of the system in question with the rest of the
> *physical* world.
>
> Right.

Yeah, right indeed. The system as described continues to relate
physically, in the relevant ways, with the rest of the physical world.
If I may quote my next sentence "As long as the relevant sequence of
physical states is unchanged there can be no reason to complain that
this requirement can't be met."

So what precisely is your remaining objection?

> So after all this we are faced with not one, but two, options.
>
> 1) CTM is false and physicalism is true but incompatible with
> computationalism;
>
> What do you mean by "computationalism"?  Just saying "yes" to the doctor?

No, I mean the assumption that a physical system can be conscious
simply in virtue of its "implementing" a computation. Since in the
gedanken experiment we have succeeded in evacuating any trace of
"computation" from the system, whilst preserving its net physical
action, if it remains conscious, it can't be in virtue of its ever
having implemented a computation. If on the contrary we conclude that
it "loses consciousness", we then have the mystery of how this can be
the case given that the sequence of physical states remains the same.
Either way the conjunction is shown to be incompatible and it would be
unsafe on this understanding to say "yes" to the computationalist
doctor.

> 2) CTM is salvageable but not in the case that physical activity is the true
> 'basement level'.
>
> Why not?  Why isn't the option that CTM is true but the "C" must be a
> sequence of states instantiated in the context of a physical world - where
> the physics need not be fundamental (but could be).

? If you still want to claim this either you haven't yet quite grasped
all the implications of the MGA, or the "physical world" to which you
now refer can't be the one that has featured in the argument to this
point. We've already shown that we can evacuate all traces of
computation from *that* world whilst preserving its sequences of
physical states complete with all relevant relations to an external
physical environment. Hence to hang on to the "C" we must look to
computational relations to be primary, rather than secondary, in our
explanatory strategy.

This in turn implies that any "physical world below computation"
would have to be consigned to some explanatory "sub-basement"; IOW a
world of "ur-physics" that existed merely in order to "implement"
computational relations. It is the latter that must do all the work in
our "explanatory basement". Hence, to appropriate an image of Bruno's,
the putative ur-physical sub-basement would merely be there to stable
a sort of supernumerary "invisible horse" whose sole purpose is to
"pull the numbers around". Sure, we could posit its "existence", but
it couldn't otherwise feature in our explanations.

> This entails what Bruno calls the
> reversal of physics and machine psychology.
>
> That's possible, but I don't see it as the only possibility.

Granted, I guess. But would you care to suggest some viable alternatives?

David