Thank you Bruno for your response. Honestly I don't know if I'd say yes to
the doctor. It's cowardly of me, but I think I'd like to see the device
work on someone else first. If they appear to be fine after the operation
then I guess I'll go under the knife - and have to swallow the logical
consequences whole! Your reply helps. I suppose what I feel is missing from
the account is the *necessity* of qualia, because it seems to me that
everything that exists, necessarily exists, and as it stands in the comp
account, the necessity for there to be an interior to mathematics remains
mysterious. My guess is that comp is wrong, but it may be that it is still
a whole lot more right than materialism. It may be wrong in the same way
that general relativity and QM are "wrong", i.e., correct, but to some
limit. My next step is to read the Amoeba's Secret and see if I can start
to wrap my head around the S4Grz and the []p & p - the maths is still
largely a mystery to me.

However I wanted to put some less argumentative and more curious questions
to you about the way you imagine the comp-driven universe to be (yes,
there's no universe, I know, but I lack words: this apparent "space" we
inhabit?). The question comes up in the comp account about the physical
explanation for the origin of the Löbian organism the self-consistency of
whose mind creates the appearance of matter (allegedly). Liz and Brent were
throwing around this "if a tree falls in the forest" question on the MGA
thread. The account whereby the observer arises out of the long, deep
history of matter sure looks convincing. What is the status of this
alternative origin story if the observer is actually grounded in Platonia?
I seem to recall you talking about the idea that the observer's self
consistency demands that it also find a consistent account of itself in the
"material hypostases". OK, I can go with that, but something here still
troubles me. We can't surely dismiss these origins as fictive any more than
we can dismiss the other observers we find in our environment as fictive.
How do you see the relationship between these accounts (the exterior
physical and the machine psychological)? It occurs to me that in some ways
the anthropic explanation of the fluky coincidences of the laws of nature
resembles the machine psychology account - in that the requirements of
existing as a complex self-aware machine in a sense "cause" the laws of the
universe to be what they are. The need for logical consistency constrains
the environment and its laws in very specific, complex ways. It's almost
strange that it's taken us so long to realize just how extraordinary it is
that the "laws" work, that they are capable of creating the complexity and
beauty we see. Only a huge, unfathomable amount of selective work could
lead to a structure like the calabi yau manifolds etc, with its
staggeringly elegant capacity to generate complexity from simplicity. So...
that work I describe would be the infinite computations in the UD, and just
as all the complexity in the UD is surrounded by a vastly greater region of
garbled junk, so the physical account relies on a similar surrounding
region of incoherence. Which makes me wonder: are the two accounts just
mirror images somehow? Are the garbled, dead, sterile, incoherent universes
the reflection of those infinite sterile computations? Is there an observer
of these dead regions? Or are the observers like fleeting Boltzmann brain
or quantum fuzz in the void: incoherent, fleeting, barely aware, but just
there enough? I hope I make sense...

Now a second thing. Comp suggests, or predicts, Many Worlds, and says
physics arises from the measure of the observer computations. But string
theory suggests many physics(es!). So this is intriguing. Are we humans
(and other animals in this multiverse) bound to one set of physics as it
were, while perhaps other (more complex?) observers occupy a world with
different laws? Because it seems we have only one of two options. Either
the other possible physics are all sterile, or there is something about the
types of mathematical structures that we are that keeps us bound to this
particular set of observer states, not letting us "slip over" into
universes with different laws?  Might we not be capable of a kind of
mathematical state change that would see us metamorphose, wake up in a
world with different laws? Might death and birth not be such state changes?
(This last suggestion no doubt getting too mystical for many whose
self-appointed job it is to crush any idea that smacks of the Big Guy
Upstairs who we've had so much trouble with in the past, but you're not
afraid of the G-word it seems, so I ask anyway (not that survival of death
has to bring God with it, but some people are sensitive about these
things.))

My own pet idea at the moment is a simple rule that seems at the least
strongly suggested by scientific experience to date and to me just
intuitively compelling. It is simply that there are no brute facts. Or
another way of saying this is that there are no "hard" ontological
boundaries, no places where that which exists nakedly abuts non-existence,
in the way that a brute fact is encased as it were in a boundary of
nothingness beyond which one cannot travel. So far, wherever we look we
find that apparently hard boundaries are illusions. Every apparently closed
system turns out to be incomplete (yes Gödel again), to be contained as a
special case within some more encompassing whole. I believe this is true
infinitely and in all "directions". And so when people pin their hopes on
string theory as a Final Explanation, I don't believe it, just as I don't
believe the spatial dimensions will stop at the current count of 11. They
can't, if my idea is correct, because that 11th dimension would be a hard
boundary. The flower of knowledge will keep opening and opening. And so I
also do not believe in the boundary of death, the ultimate brute fact. So -
maybe I won't say yes to the doctor but yes to Doctor Death instead,
preferring to embrace the transformation than to perpetuate the machine in
its current form.