On Thu, Dec 25, 2014  'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

 > DO you even know what the term “tight oil” means technically?

Yes. Tight oil is just another name for shale oil, it's light oil in
kerogen rich shale deposits that needs hydraulic fracking to be extracted
economically.  There is a enormous amount of tight oil in the Earth but
until just a few years ago it might as well have been on the moon for all
the good it did us, but things change and sometimes very very rapidly.
Technology marches on.

> Kerogen IS NOT OIL!

But when heated to about 150 degrees centigrade in the absence of oxygen
kerogen releases crude oil, and when heated to 200 degrees it releases
natural gas.

>  Kerogen bearing shale is a very different kind of resource

Huh? Very different from what?

>  that has proven uneconomical

And yet this "uneconomical" resource has caused the oil production of the
USA to skyrocket. And in July 2008, well before this "uneconomical" process
was implemented, the worldwide price of West Texas Intermediate Crude oil
was $147 a barrel, but today on December 25  2014  West Texas Intermediate
crude oil is selling at $56 a barrel. I don't think the word "uneconomical"
means what you think it does.

> Shell Oil has just recently abandoned its kerogen extraction attempts

For christ's sake, if you're wildcatting for conventional oil or shale oil
you're always going to run into dry holes from time to time, it's part of
the price of doing business. So back in 2013 Shell oil announced they were
abandoning one minuscule 30 million (that's million with a m) dollar shale
oil pilot project. Big deal. On the very same day they said there were
going to build a HUGE 12.5 billion dollar plant (that's billion with a B)
in Louisiana to turn natural gas into diesel and jet fuel

> > And as I've said existing technology can only exploit about 25% of it,
> but that's more than enough to change the economy of the world.
>

> I bet you just pulled that 25% figure out of your ass John.

Then I guess I have a well educated ass because the Paris based IEA says
there are 3.7 trillion barrels of shale oil in the USA but only 1 trillion
can be economically recovered with existing technology. You do the
arithmetic.

> The very EIA (and IEA) numbers you keep siting are under attack

They are under attack by you and by some environmentalists, but as I've
said before most environmentalists are not serious people, they are very
silly people. To make any difference in your lifetime the numbers would
have to be off by at least a order of magnitude, and the energy Department
doesn't think they are, nor Paris based IEA, nor any reputable professional
organization of geologists.

> There is no informed consensus – outside of shale oil boosterism circles
> – about the fact that by far most of these resources ARE NOT reserves.
> [...] Just because the EIA and IEA (both captive organizations staffed by a
> revolving door system with insider vested fossil and nuclear interests) say
> something does not make it the word of God!

And it looks like even Wikipedia is part of this evil conspiracy of
disinformation lies and mendacity because it says: "Global technically
recoverable oil shale reserves have recently been estimated at about 2.8 to
3.3 trillion barrels (450×109 to 520×109 m3) of shale oil, with the largest
reserves in the United States, which is thought to have 1.5–2.6 trillion
barrels (240×109–410×109 m3)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shale_oil#Reserves_and_production

In that same article it says: "In March 2011, the United States Bureau of
Land Management called into question proposals in the U.S. for commercial
operations, stating that "*There are no economically viable ways yet known
to extract and process oil shale for commercial purposes*"".  Also in March
2011 there is a article in Forbes magazine about economist Nouriel Roubini
who must have agreed with the United States Bureau of Land Management, and
a lot of oil traders must have agreed with them too:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisbarth/2011/03/07/roubini-predicts-oil-will-hit-150-per-barrel-traders-betting-on-200/

The headline of the article is "*Roubini Predicts Oil Will Hit $150 Per
Barrel, Traders Betting On $200*" .  Remember that was March 2011,
yesterday December 25 2014 oil was selling at $56 a barrel.

> So go ahead keep calling me a tree hugger if that makes you feel better

OK.

> Nobody is disputing that the global spot price for oil has gone down;

And there must have been a reason for such a gargantuan economic event.
OPEC did not increase production but the USA increased oil production
enormously, do you think that maybe just maybe that had something to do
with it? And how did the USA increase production, it can't be shale because
you tell me the oil companies are abandoning it, and yet the USA somehow
managed to dramatically increase production. What's the secret?

> > you keep trumpeting it like it had some magical hidden meaning.

It's not magical and it's not hidden but it sure as hell has meaning, it
means that if shale oil were all smoke and mirrors as you insist it is then
the price of the most important commodity in the world would not have
dropped from $147 to $56. Only something COLOSSAL could have caused a drop
like that, if it was not "uneconomical" shale oil then what was it?

> What does the current sot price have to do with the size of the global
> reserve figures

If the collective wisdom of millions of people, that is to say the market,
thought that you were right and we were about to run out of shale oil then
the price would go up. It hasn't. Could the market be wrong? Sure it's not
infallible, in 2011 the market thought shale oil would never be economical;
but even so I think the market is more likely to be correct than you are.

> I recall many months back when you made a complete idiot of yourself on
> this very list – trying to portray the global solar PV capacity numbers I
> had quoted as being off by many orders of magnitude when in fact – as
> everyone knows – you messed up your math.

Speaking of solar cells, the USA recently put a enormous tariff on Chinese
solar cells because they said they were selling them too cheaply, which
tells me what they really think about solar cells with crystal clarity,
they think they're useless in meeting world energy demands; but it plays
well with the masses, tree huggers love solar cells and they like tariffs
too. But can you imagine the USA putting a tariff on something that's
really useful, like oil from Saudi Arabia, because it's being sold too
cheaply? I can't.

I'm not naive enough to expect any of these facts to cause you to change
your mind, you like solar cell so despite the facts you've convinced
yourself they can solve our energy problems, and you don't like shale oil
so despite the facts you've convinced yourself it can't. Well I like solar
cells too and I'm perfectly willing to admit that they would be a better
solution than shale oil IF THEY WORKED, but I am also aware that my
personal preference does not change reality.

  John K Clark