I haven't managed to read the entire paper yet, but it seems to be along
similar lines to the idea that the brain receives consciousness from
somewhere else, like in the story by Barrington Bayley (I forget the title)
in which the universe is criss-crossed with beams of consciousness that
cause life to emerge and get filtered through the structures that appear as
a result. One amusing point in the story (which is opnly about 5 pages
long) is that the beams have no origin - they come from an infinite
distance, and occasionally get redirected by beings who arise as a result
of their influence.

On the subject of DNA being memory, it's a form of memory of what worked in
the past, but not very like the sort we appear to use in our brains - that
is, it's a pattern that represents successful past reproducers, but is more
or less fixed in any given organism (as far as I know, ignoring
retroviruses etc). The similarity between DNA and brain type memory seems
roughly the similarity between genes and memes. I can't see any reason to
assume they would use the same molecular mechanism.