On Tuesday, January 13, 2015 at 8:54:40 PM UTC+1, Brent wrote:

>  A fair question.

I'm not so sure about that. The question presupposes ironically that
violence is a justified response to insult. It's a simple trap: taking it
literally legitimizes more ridicule because the subject didn't see the
blatant irony, and not taking it literally/ignoring it will be interpreted
as being complacent/apologetic towards absurd religious fairy tales.

No bite here although I will admit it is a rather sad and thorny
theological issue. It's thorny because this type of imagery/question
carries nihilistic assumption that there exists nothing that is
transcendent/sacred. Picture cartoons depicting "dumb Americans/westerners
naive on freedom of speech suing each other like nuts for defamation" and
imagine your response if you're in that target audience.

Of course this imagery/question carries that cool irreverent subtext, but
laid bare, it implies meaningless existence as certainty. Is shoving such
nihilist-tinged humor down other people's throats a valid way to promote
tolerance? I'm not sure. It's easy to fall for the "freedom of speech vs.
old, medieval Islamic values" gestrure. But when you know and relate to
people from that culture, I find that it's closer to most of them wanting
to preserve their ways of life from nihilistic consumerism of the West.
Also, everybody I know can distinguish between extremists using religion to
further their interests and the pragmatic aspect of living their faith, no
matter their faith.

The Dawkins quotes and "argumentation" against the whole religion (via
selective quoting of the militant rhetoric penned in times when Islam was
persecuted; I take it that the faith as a whole takes murder to not be
justifiable and an insult to humanity) give us an image of: enlightened
reasoning in the West vs. dumb superstitions of the East. And here we have
to take Atheism to contradict its own status as belief, to be able to save
its rather forcing implication of superiority.

The imagery and question is thus targeted at the immature and naive as it
confuses a lack of hard evidence for the existence of transcendent/sacred
concepts with the radical belief that there are none.

Because of this thorny state of affairs, and assuming the authors know what
they're doing, this is therefore plausible ideological bullying. An
insecure attempt to swap one radical ideology for another. The nasty bit,
is that this is presented to us through a biased media as "harmless fun of
liberty".

And I'm not sure we can blame lack of education either, as this requires
some patronizing ledge again. The fault is to be found more in violating
people, histories of occupation, stealing resources, and continuing the
power game itself, wishing to score high points and "earn status" in a
game, that people with sound scientific/theological background, should see
as rigged imho. PGC