On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 3:08 AM, 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> [...]

I used "cartoon" in less than literal sense.

> It is a complex mess with deep historical roots going back to the Ottoman
> period and on through the period of French and British colonial rule. There
> are no easy solutions and the problem is not going away.

What? You don't think if I post my position a few more dozen times, that
the problem will not disappear from the global stage?

Dear Internet of grand opinionage,

I am disappointed in you!

Sincerely,
PGC

> In order to manage the situation, as it has become, we need to at the very
> least have a clear and comprehensive understanding of the issues and forces
> that are driving resurgent medievalism in the middle east (but not only
> thereā€¦ there is a surge of the medievalist mind in the USA, and I imagine
> to some degree in Western Europe as well)

Freedom includes by definition the right for everybody else to see/express
things their way. Therefore it is not a simple, clear matter to "fight for
freedom of speech", as any form of battle/competition/conflict includes
assumption of restricting/denying/limiting the freedom of the opponent,
which leads to contradiction.

Hence the laws against defamation. True to form of factual concreteness
fetishes, we believe that power will take care of a power problem. Power
marks difference/imbalance relative to some value(s), and using some form
of it to eliminate lesser form is dubious but plausible; if done minimizing
harm at maximum of levels.

The "truth" that western liberal believes 'will establish itself over time'
is problematic in one key sense: *when* *exactly *does the truth of freedom
arrive (kinda sounds like waiting for messiah figure) and should we do
something about the roads collapsing here, economic/political/theological
differences, the people being hurt over there, or the laws and prohibition
trampling freedom for security indefinitely; if so what? And why do we need
all these lawyers if everything is clear? ;-) PGC