On Sun, Mar 01, 2015 at 07:48:49PM -0800, meekerdb wrote:
> On 3/1/2015 6:29 PM, Russell Standish wrote:
> >I remain unconvinced that that probabilities are undefined.
> >
> >Tegmark gave an interesting version of how to get Born's rule from
> >MWI, which seemed to have legs. Deutsch gave one based on decision
> >theory that is admittedly unsatisfying.
> >
> >My own derivation simply assumed that observers had measure. The
> >probability of an outcome is proportional to the measure of the
> >observers
>
> What's "the measure of the observers"?  That's usually where the
> implicit assumption of Born's rule sneaks in.

It's not implicit, but quite explicit that observers are drawn from an
ensemble of all possible observers with an associated
measure. Somewhat later, we identify that measure with the complex
magnitude of the QM state vector. It is still problematic that the
measure turns out to be complex, rather than say quaternionic or
something more general, though.

I don't see it as implicitly assuming Born's rule, though. The exact
functional dependence of probability on the observer's state could be
anything, but it turns out it has to be given by Born's rule (assuming
Kolmogorov's probability axioms, of course).

Cheers

Principal, High Performance Coders

 Latest project: The Amoeba's Secret
         (http://www.hpcoders.com.au/AmoebasSecret.html)