On 21 April 2015 at 09:25, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Dennis Ochei wrote:
>>
>> Do you have a coherent, non arbitrary theory of personal identity that
>> claims 1) Teletransportation creates a new person, killing the original
>

> It is a possible theory. See D Parfit, 'Reasons and Persons' (Oxford, 1984).

Parfit's argument is that if identity is not preserved in these
thought experiments, then identity is not the thing that matters.

>> and 2) Ordinary survival does not create a new person, killing the
>> original?
>>
>> Let me remind you, although you probably know this, that all your atoms
>> except some in your teeth are replaced throughout the course of a year.
>

> When a cell in my arm dies and is replaced, I do not die. When my leg is cut
> off, I do not die. Ordinary survival does not kill the original and create a
> new person -- body replacement is a gradual, continuous process which
> preserves bodily identity.

What if the duplicating machine replaced first your head and then a
minute later the rest of your body?

> The teleportation process discussed involves actually destroying (cutting or
> killing) the original and creating a new body at some (remote) location. It
> is arguable whether this new body is sufficiently close to the original to
> constitute a closest continuer -- hence Parfit's idea that a new person is
> always created. If replacement of memories in a new body counts as
> sufficient to constitute a suitable closest continuer, that is your choice.
> But is is not a logical consequence.

There is a difference between natural and artificial replacement, but
in the end in both cases there is a new person and the matter in the
old person has disintegrated. It is not enough to show there is a
difference - you have to explain why it makes a difference to the
philosophical argument.

--
Stathis Papaioannou