I think the authors are more interested in being provocative than in being clear. For example:

/The interface theory entails that these first two steps were mere warm up. The next step in the intellectual history of H. sapiens is a big one. We must recognize that all of our perceptions of space, time and objects no more reflect reality than does our perception of a flat earth. It's not just this or that aspect of our perceptions that must be corrected, it is the entire framework of a space-time containing objects, the fundamental organization of our perceptual systems, that must be recognized as a mere species-specific mode of perception rather than an insight into objective reality./
/
//By this time it should be clear that, if the arguments given here are sound, then the current Bayesian models of object perception need more than tinkering around the edges, they need fundamental transformation. And this transformation will necessarily have ramifications for scientific questions well-beyond the confines of computational models of object perception./

There's no justification for the "mere". Our perception has gone well beyond what biology provided. Nor is there any reason to suppose that the transformation they propose will be THE OBJECTIVE TRUTH either.
/
//Similarly, most of my mental processes are not directly conscious to me, but that does not entail that they are unconscious./

This just seems to make of muddle of what is meant by "conscious".

Anyway, I'll finish reading it. I think an explanation of consciousness based on evolution is one useful approach.

Brent