meekerdb wrote:
On 5/3/2015 11:02 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
meekerdb wrote:

Also "yes doctor" assumes that consciousness is retained when something computationally equivalent is substituted; which is why Olympia and the MG need to be counterfactually correct. But to realize the counterfactual correctness would mean including within the static record a very large part of the environment, i.e. everything within the past lightcone that might effect the stream of consciousness.

Can you explain to me why counterfactual correctness is necessary for a recording to be conscious?

I don't know. It seems to be assumed by Maudlin and Marchal, but I think Russell Standish disagrees. I can understand that it's motivated by the intuition that just an inert recording can't be conscious; consciousness is a process and it is distinguished among processes by being a computation. And what distinguishes a computation?...the possibility of dealing with different inputs. Hence the assumption that counterfactual correctness is essential.

Something motivated by intuition hardly amounts to a compelling reason to accept the necessity for counterfactual correctness.

What distinguishes a computation?... A very good question. why is a recording of this particular computation not equivalent to this particular computation? Dealing with different inputs is not an issue for a recording -- it doesn't have any different inputs to deal with! It all seems arbitrary and totally ad hoc to me.

Bruce